2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here successfully removed and reinstalled the upper lift gate trim on the 2019 Hatch?

I managed to pop the clips on the left and right sides, but there's something holding on in the center that wasn't popping with normal force. I gave up just in case I broke something.

With the way the hatch opens, it's very hard to peek inside to see if there's a clip I need to pop.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Upper Lift Gate Trim actually removed (pics)

This is the underside of the upper lift gate trim piece. There are 7 total clips:

* one in each corner
* two along the bottom (closer to the license plate)
* one along the top (closer to the roof)

The four in the corners are plastic clips, and very easy to pop. The three in the middle are metal clips and take more effort to pop, and you need to apply force close to the clips to avoid binding.

This is the upper lift gate with the trim piece removed.

How to remove the trim piece

1. Open the hatch. All directions in the following instructions will be oriented as if the hatch was open, i.e. "up" is towards the license plate end of the hatch and "down" is towards the roof of the car.

2. Pop the outside upper clips: put your fingers under the trim piece near the left edge and pull straight back (away from the glass). You should hear one pop. Repeat on the right edge.

3. Pop the outside lower clips: like the upper clips, put your fingers under a lower corner and pull straight back. You should hear the clip pop. Repeat for the other side.

4. Pop the upper middle clips: These clips are metal and will bind if you don't apply force very close to the clips. If you can get in there with a trim tool, that is the best option, but it requires using an angled mirror and light.

Using the photo as a guide, insert a non marring trim tool and get it between the clip body and the metal bracket and lever or twist it to pop the clip. You can also pop with with your hands, but you need to get your fingers in pretty close.

5. Pop the lower middle clip: last one, same as the upper middle clips. There's less room to get tools in on the bottom of the trim piece, but this one should come off pretty easy if you have all the other clips popped.

To put the trim piece back on, make sure it's aligned correctly and latch the clips in the reverse order.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hello, did you also get to remove one of the two rubber grommets (the one used for passing through wires between the hatch and the car)? Do they use plastic clips or are they just tight rubbers? How easy was it to remove and put back on? I'm going to install a rear dashcam soon. I hope they don't use plastic clips, it easily breaks and a pain to replace the whole thing. On my last car I broke one so I had to use some hot glue for temporary fix to avoid rain leaking inside.

edit:
Nvm, seems like they also use tension plastic clips. I’ll just buy a fish tape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts