2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one of the many people who will never use the CD player. I do not know why Mazda did not make the CD player an option so that those that have no use for it can have more storage in the location where the CD player is located.

I would like to remove the CD player, but only if I could put something in that would look like the original finish. I understand on the 2015 models, many of them do not have a CD player. However, those models have the USB port where the CD player is located. I am wondering if it’s possible to remove the CD player and install something in its place that would look like it belongs there.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you know if the CD player is a DIN-sized unit?

If so, there are options out there for DIN-mount storage cubbies. My Miata had one, as did various other cars, it held a pair of sunglasses or a phone perfectly.

I think the challenge will be finding a good match for the interior in terms of color and texture. But if you find out its a DIN-mount, at least there will be options out there.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I looked into the service manual about this and it is easy enough to remove but there is a metal tray behind it that holds it in place. I may attempt this tonight.

I do hate the little slot underneath the cd player. Phone and fob get stuck under there sometimes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It would be nice to be able to remove the CD player and get the extra USB outlets up there.

Rvoll did point out that it's super easy to add a USB outlet via add a circuit, but I'd love to keep the factory look and throw a phone dock into that space.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I can tell you it's not DIN size, it is not as wide. I would suggest you go to a car stereo install shop they may have some extra pockets from some install kits that did not get used that may work. My experience is some of the pockets are not DIN size any how so you might find something that might work. The CD player comes out easey if you have the right extraction keys that come with after market radios, again a install shop will have those to.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Im trying to see if the base models without the cd players have a cubby. If they do we can grab their part number and order one... I know I've seen it somewhere... maybe from another country...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've thought about purchasing the outlet and usb ports for where the cd player should be in the lower end models. Was thinking maybe they could easily be used to add either more UBS ports, and the extra outlet to add to the one in the center console.

I haven't jumped on this idea yet since I'm between jobs...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts