2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
The above linked cool video shows the removal of a selector lever knob for manual transmission. At an automatic transmission it`s another type of knob, which has to be removed another way. It is fixed with a spring, which has to be removed before you can remove the knob. I also had problems with removing it at my cx-5 and this pdf helped me:
View attachment AT-shift mechanism removal-installation.pdf

If servicing is difficult in gear position "P", open the manual shift release cap located abouve the printed "P", press the inside down and move the selector lever to "N" position.

·
Registered
8 Posts
hey, can you give some detail how you did that?

i tried last night and i didn't see how. couldn't get the boot skirt off all the way. i just looked in the FSM for 2014 and to get that trim panel off it says the shifter kno has to be removed. mine is an automatic transmission so that is a huge pain. i hope its not true.

thanks!

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts

i tried last night and i didn't see how. couldn't get the boot skirt off all the way. i just looked in the FSM for 2014 and to get that trim panel off it says the shifter kno has to be removed. mine is an automatic transmission so that is a huge pain. i hope its not true.

thanks!

Removing my 2018 GT cd player, popping out the plastic tray out and the auto shifter lifts out. The skirt is secured under the shifter plate.

·
Registered
267 Posts

thanks!

I just cut a rectangular piece, cut a hole to pass the shifter through and worked with it over the top pressing down all of the edges cutting excess and using a trim tool to press into the gaps in the trim. Manual is a bit more simple compared to the complex surfaces on the auto.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts