2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any special instructions or precautions I need to take before I remove the seats and carpet for additional sound deadening?
I've done the driver's side door and it's clear that the more area I cover the better it'd be. Whereas before I noticed sound coming from all directions, most of it is now coming through the floor and the passenger side.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Use plastic or wood tools for removing panels. Make sure ALL the tools used are very clean. Have masking tape to mark location of fasteners.

TAKE YOUR TIME............................

There are countless informational on the internet about what works best and HOW_TO sound deafening material application. I suggest to take an hour with a cup of good coffee and check them out.

If you get into and area specifically questionable ask !

I am sure that there are a few of us that are not only Audiophiles but have had experience in making a car quiet.

·
Registered
327 Posts
There was a company that posted a video of them doing a full sound deadening with padding and spray foam. I forget the name of the company, it was a couple of years ago. I think someone posted the video on here. I was going to do this but I did not have the needed time to remove all of the interior and fight with the centre console specifically. Also I did email that company about how they removed the carpet, and they said it was a formed one piece that they had to have 4 guys remove out the hatch because they could not turn it over and pull it out through the door.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry about resurrecting an old thread. I am in process of putting sound deadening in my '18 Mazda 3. I have done the doors, hatch area, and rear quarter panels. It's made a very noticeable improvement, about ~8 db improvement at highway speeds.

The next part of my project will be the floor and possibly the roof. I was wondering for those who have done this, is it worth the time and effort? Will doing the floor and/or roof provide as big of as improvement?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Go to "build logs" of www.sounddeadenershowdown.com . They do a 2015 (?) Mazda3 hatchback with CLD tiles + CCF and MLV. It's under "How To".

CLD... Constrained Layer Damping (asphaltic self-adhesive tiles); CCF - Closed Cell Foam; MLV - Mass-Loaded Vinyl.

Also, re acoustics for doors and speakers, view here:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry about resurrecting an old thread. I am in process of putting sound deadening in my '18 Mazda 3. I have done the doors, hatch area, and rear quarter panels. It's made a very noticeable improvement, about ~8 db improvement at highway speeds.

The next part of my project will be the floor and possibly the roof. I was wondering for those who have done this, is it worth the time and effort? Will doing the floor and/or roof provide as big of as improvement?
I've heard doing the roof doesn't have much affect, given there isn't much wind noise coming through the roof. Advantage of doing the roof is it dramatically helps when it rains hard.

I've done under the rear seats, rear carpet, front passenger carpet. It wasn't difficult to do, I just had to forcibly pull up the carpet (even tho it won't fully come off because its held on by center console/seats. Seemed to work fine to get good coverage for me.
Only did this yesterday and from my initial driving (haven't tried motorwayspeeds yet) seems quieter. As with all sound proofing, its not extremely dramatic. But its an improvement, I'd say 5 or 10%.
I can post photos if you want to see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar problem with the carpet from my living. I own two cats, and they while playing everyday destroyed the carpet. My wife wanted me to go and buy another one, better. I decided just to remove it, and I left the room without a carpet. Now, my cats won't destroy the carpet. By the way, my floor is of good quality. Because I build it with the help of Delta Decking - Composite Decking in a variety of colours!. Guys came with the best solutions for my floor. Also, they used the best materials for them. I am very pleased with their work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts