2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
'10 Mazda 3 S Sport 6 spd
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say I have something with reflective coating, how could I remove the reflective coating without damaging the object that has the reflective coating?

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can tell you it's not a license plate that I'd want to remove the coating on to make less reflective.

·
Registered
476 Posts
you could always let the 'object' sit in brake fluid till the coating comes off but most likely the paint will come off so afterwards you can paint the background white then the letters/numbers blue of the said 'object'. Oh ya I forgot dont forget to write in red cursive "California" on the 'object' your trying to get rid of the reflective coating on:sneaky 1:

·
Registered
412 Posts
License plates are enameled. That means the coating is melted on at high temperatures and is bonded to the underlying metal very strongly. The only way to remove the coating is to bead blast the plate down to bare metal.

Oh, that's right, it's not a license plate...

·
Super Mod
382 Posts
It depends on the makeup of said object. Why don't you just tell us what it is? Lol.
:yes: lol

I can tell you it's not a license plate that I'd want to remove the coating on to make less reflective.

Oh, that's right, it's not a license plate...
Of course not! :eek:hsnap 1:

Although I will admit, I do see the occasional car in front of me who has removed the background.. but I'm not sure exactly what all you accomplish by doing this?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Although I will admit, I do see the occasional car in front of me who has removed the background.. but I'm not sure exactly what all you accomplish by doing this?
maybe those ppl you see with the removed background on 'said object' are on a top secret mission and need to be as covert as possible

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hey Matthew, can I ask if the removal of the reflective coating on said 'object' will be used for illegal purposes or for recreational use?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
maybe those ppl you see with the removed background on 'said object' are on a top secret mission and need to be as covert as possible
wtf?!?!?!

·
Registered
476 Posts
interesting, I just snapped a picture of my license plate and the backgrounds reflective nature just makes it pure white making the letters/numbers visable. The 'California' writing vanishes in the picture.

So im thinking people with the background removed who run red light cameras are less likely to get a ticket due to the fact the letters/numbers would not be clearly visable to register....just a thought.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
interesting, I just snapped a picture of my license plate and the backgrounds reflective nature just makes it pure white making the letters/numbers visable. The 'California' writing vanishes in the picture.

So im thinking people with the background removed who run red light cameras are less likely to get a ticket due to the fact the letters/numbers would not be clearly visable to register....just a thought.
The reason this happened is because you were on the ground and the flash was aimed directly at the plate. The road cams are posted high above traffic so the flash reflection would not appear!

Its all about angles and geometry!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I even took some offset side angles and the plate is still reflective and very visable...

·
Dr. Bass as in Race
11 Posts
The background of license plates are a reflective coating that produces a nearly diffuse reflection. Hence, the reflected light is reflected in all directions. Now, truly diffuse coatings don't really exist so there will be some specular components too (if I didn't add this statement, someone would chime in with a, "but I did an experiment with my camera and the reflection changes..." story).

·
Hella-gone
416 Posts
To remove the reflective component, you'd have to remove the colored layers above it.

The top coat on a license plate, street sign, reflective vinyl graphics, etc is a translucent colored layer and the reflective layer is below it. It's all a white silvery colored layer of reflective material with a translucent shade over it to give it color.

So to make it truly not reflective, you'd have to remove more than just the reflective part to get it off.

There are coatings and masks that can make the reflectivity less.

·
Super Mod
382 Posts
Well here in the land of good communication we call "said object" a license plate and we don't pretend the NSA is after us lol.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Well here in the land of good communication we call "said object" a license plate and we don't pretend the NSA is after us lol.
What if it is not pretend...:sneaky 1:

·
Registered
476 Posts
well im not worried for now....how long do you think I can get away with driving with no license plate for? im shooting for a year lol

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, it would be for recreational use. In California we're required to have a front plate. Plate covers are illegal too. I'm less worried about red light cameras than laser speed guns and speed cameras. I'll likely leave the plate as is. Sounds like you'd have to strip the whole plate and repaint it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts