2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I hope you are all doing well.

So, I went to fuel the car and I noticed that bubble wrap paper got caught on the exhaust pipe, practically getting melt and leaving burnt plastic with a burnt shade spot.



Do you guys know how to remove this 100%? I know that I will be doing this when the exhaust pipe is cold to touch.

Thanks for any suggestions :grin2:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,385 Posts
Only one way I know of - get under there and scrape off as much as you can . :smile2:The rest will eventually burn away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Sell the car :D :D

As Arathol posted above, get under the car scrape off as much as you can. You can try some goodies used in kitchens, such as oven cleaner and nylon scrub brush or steel wool (till you don't mind scratching the surface of the exhaust).
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
842 Posts
Plastic like that on an exhaust pipe could actually remain on there for months. It takes a long time to burn away. This is because of how plastic reacts to heat without a flame.
I would try to use some acetone to try melting large pieces. If that works or if it does not then if you have propane torch and leather gloves you can heat the plastic up and with a wooden paint mixing stick remove most all of it.

Have had this happen to me on more then one car. Plastic on V-8 Header are the worst. :frown2:

Good luck.....


Cautionary NOTE just because I am sure some member might go OMG a fire under the car.....
Use common sence...... with any controlled flame like with a propane torch not to ignite things and to make surrounding parts to hot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for you help!

I will try some of the techniques suggested here and I'll report back with the results.

Cheers!
 

·
Codger
Joined
·
73 Posts
Frankly, I'd just ignore it. It does no harm. Out of sight, out of mind.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
842 Posts
Frankly, I'd just ignore it. It does no harm. Out of sight, out of mind.
Spoken from someone that has not had this happen to them...:wink2:
Maybe out of sight but the plastic will heat and soften giving off the burning plastic smell. When you turn off the engine will re-harden and the process starts all over again for a long long long time. :|



Physical Properties of Plastics
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frankly, I'd just ignore it. It does no harm. Out of sight, out of mind.
Maybe out of sight but the plastic will heat and soften giving off the burning plastic smell. When you turn off the engine will re-harden and the process starts all over again for a long long long time. :|
^
This


Usually I would not care but if your drive with windows open or with the sunroof you can feel the burning plastic smell :grin2:

It's like having a chewing gum stuck in your shoes, harmless until you realized that the gum gets stuck in your nice carpet.

Will handle this once I have time, I definitely do not wish this situation to happen to anyone, it's annoying :death:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
This is a fear of mine! Had it happen years ago and it was quite annoying. Because of my experience, I am a bit over zealous when it comes to dodging plastic bags on the highway.

Anyway, I'd go with the physical removal / scraping. Maybe when the exhaust is warm (but not hot).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Sell the car :D :D

As Arathol posted above, get under the car scrape off as much as you can. You can try some goodies used in kitchens, such as oven cleaner and nylon scrub brush or steel wool (till you don't mind scratching the surface of the exhaust).

+1 for the scrub pad/brush and stainless steel wool with metal polish... fine and it'll polish vs scratch :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
842 Posts
+1 for the scrub pad/brush and stainless steel wool with metal polish... fine and it'll polish vs scratch :)
This is also a good common sence response but also IMO from someone that has never had plastic melt on exhaust parts.

You do understand that when most plastic melt they change and becomes very hard. No longer the thin plastics bag they were originally?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
Steel wool isn't a good idea guys. Our exhausts are stainless. Although it's corrosion resistant, it's not corrosion proof. Steel wool will introduce impurities into the exhaust metal and will cause corrosion.

A much better solution: synthetic steel wool. It's basically a plastic scrub pad.

While you're there you could always apply some clear header paint like I did :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
842 Posts
Steel wool isn't a good idea guys. Our exhausts are stainless. Although it's corrosion resistant, it's not corrosion proof. Steel wool will introduce impurities into the exhaust metal and will cause corrosion.

A much better solution: synthetic steel wool. It's basically a plastic scrub pad.

While you're there you could always apply some clear header paint like I did :)
^^LIKE
The exhaust material austenitic stainless steels and can be damaged with anything that can scratch it.
The clear coating is a good idea if one follows the curing process which is time consuming and takes patients.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,827 Posts
^^LIKE
The exhaust material austenitic stainless steels and can be damaged with anything that can scratch it.
The clear coating is a good idea if one follows the curing process which is time consuming and takes patients.
The curing Process is nothing short of painful. I just use cheap header high temperature paint from the spray can and that requires several heat cycles. I still have to reapply it about every 2 years. It helps though. If it means that I won't need a new exhaust one day I'm in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
This is also a good common sence response but also IMO from someone that has never had plastic melt on exhaust parts.

You do understand that when most plastic melt they change and becomes very hard. No longer the thin plastics bag they were originally?
Supertrapp stainless exhaust on my 89 Honda Hawk GT... burnt plastic bag on the exhaust. Restored back to better than factory new using scrub pad and stainless steel wool of varying grades with finest finishing using fine stainless wool with Mothers Metal polish.. this isn't hidden away under a car exhaust it's a no fairing bike with header pipes clear to see.

When did you try using this method and how'd it fail?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
842 Posts
Supertrapp stainless exhaust on my 89 Honda Hawk GT... burnt plastic bag on the exhaust. Restored back to better than factory new using scrub pad and stainless steel wool of varying grades with finest finishing using fine stainless wool with Mothers Metal polish.. this isn't hidden away under a car exhaust it's a no fairing bike with header pipes clear to see.

When did you try using this method and how'd it fail?
Not sure if you are asking a question or a comment?
Stainless steel is very hard to polish when damaged with scratches. SS is not a full stainless as I have mentioned about exhaust parts earlier. I would not have recommended your method to "restore" them" but if you did have a question directed at me in there somewhere, I have tried your method and it is a PIA. I have been a distributor and dealer for Super Trap off and on over the years currently have a full Stainless Header system on one of my bikes and have had many Super Trap parts as well clip-ons and full systems on many vehicles. :grin2:

Super Traps are some of the best tune-your--exhaust that have ever been made!!!:grin2:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top