2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all;

I have a 3rd Gen 2017 Mazda 3 GT, and I want to drop the entire map light housing so I can hardwire my dashcam and hide the 12v to 5v converter. The only two screws are under the sunglasses holder, but I believe there are some clips. I cannot find the exact removal procedure on any of the service manuals available online.

Has anyone maybe done this before and can offer some advice - just nervous of snapping off some clips, etc on my brand new car.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you haven't done it yet, its like you said. Two screws only. After that just pry from the housing closest to the windshield down and swing it down about 10 degrees. Then pull it towards the windshield. There are hooks that hold it in the headliner on the rear end. It doesn't require a lot of force to pop it out of the headliner at the front. And once it's out, pretty easy to pull it forward. Just don't pull it away completely from the headliner. There are 3 wire harnesses plugged into it. If you pull it too far away too quickly, you may undo the glue holding the wiring harnesses in place and you don't want that rattle in there once its reassembled.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I would recommend hard wiring with an add a fuse right from the fuse box and run the wire up the A pillar.

That's how i did it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would recommend hard wiring with an add a fuse right from the fuse box and run the wire up the A pillar.

That's how i did it.
Pretty much what CJR238 said. The housing has exposed leads all over the place when you drop it down. Heck the power bus is exposed completely.
Furthermore, this power bus ties into directly the RBCM so if you're tying power draw to the RBCM you may end up frying it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
In my opinion, running a wire up the A pillar is way too much hassle considering that there's already power at the top of the windshield. But I see what you guys are saying about being careful with the wires up there. Personally I tapped the power for my radar detector from the auto-dimming mirror -- it really doesn't get easier than that. Highly recommended, assuming that you have an auto-dimming mirror of course :).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts