2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda owners have figured out that if you have a car without remote start, you can get it just by adding another key fob with a start button. All you need is a fob with the same FCC ID and the start button. I know that the FCC approved a 5 button version of the key for my 2015, but I've never seen one. The extra button must be for remote start.

Has anyone tried this with a Mazda? Did it work?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't think that option is available with the manual transmission for obvious reasons.

Unrelated... when I met my wife, she had a 1997 CRV... and for about 5 years only had the standard keys. I noodled around on some Honda forums and discovered that a used remote can be programmed. I got one on Ebay... programmed it according to the excellent forum just like this one and Bam! She had a remote! One of my finer moments I must say.

So... for those who bought a used 3 on this forum and don't have a remote or may only have one... there are ways to get back to "keyless" freedom...

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I don't think that option is available with the manual transmission for obvious reasons.

Unrelated... when I met my wife, she had a 1997 CRV... and for about 5 years only had the standard keys. I noodled around on some Honda forums and discovered that a used remote can be programmed. I got one on Ebay... programmed it according to the excellent forum just like this one and Bam! She had a remote! One of my finer moments I must say.

So... for those who bought a used 3 on this forum and don't have a remote or may only have one... there are ways to get back to "keyless" freedom...
Similar to why remote start in a manual is a bad idea...I knew a guy who had done a manual swap on his old car. He was too lazy to wire in the safety switch on the clutch so he just jumpered it. Then one day he started it but forgot to hit the clutch as we all do once in a blue moon...car lurched forward and smashed into the wall in his garage.

And this is why remote start in a manual is a bad idea! If you forget to leave it in neutral, the same thing will happen!

·
Registered
720 Posts
My 02 Accord had the best feature ever. Hold the unlock on the fob and the windows rolled down. Perfect for hot Texas summers.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All that stuff is great, but the question is can I get remote start on my 2015 Mazda just by adding a new key fob?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Similar to why remote start in a manual is a bad idea...I knew a guy who had done a manual swap on his old car. He was too lazy to wire in the safety switch on the clutch so he just jumpered it. Then one day he started it but forgot to hit the clutch as we all do once in a blue moon...car lurched forward and smashed into the wall in his garage.

And this is why remote start in a manual is a bad idea! If you forget to leave it in neutral, the same thing will happen!
my motorcycle is parked way inside the garage in winter or if i know i'm not going to use it for an extended period of time..

lol i did that once while starting up, clutch in, push start and released the clutch immediately (totally forgot it was parked in 1st) and smashed straight into my motorcycle in front of my car.. thankfully i hit the brakes quick enough and the bike didn't fall over the other side...

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,366 Posts
Mazdaswag has pretty good prices and discounts too. OEM is usually your safest bet with stuff like this.
CK

1 - 10 of 10 Posts