2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If your Mazda came with OEM wheel locks, there should be a paper card somewhere in your car. It will be the ID # of your wheel locks and key. Keep this in a safe place because if you ever lose your key, you can contact the wheel lock manufacturer for a replacement.

Better yet, you should be able to detach half the card and send it in by mail to register so that they have it on record or register online. In my case, my wheel locks were manufactured by McGard and I registered the ID on their website.

·
Super Moderator
5,960 Posts
To what purpose? Most locks have standardized keys. You can buy a full set of master keys that fit pretty much every wheel lock cheap on fleabay. Any Mazda dealer and most any decent tire shop will have keys to remove wheel locks.
Just FYI, any decently prepared would-be thief looking to steal your rims can remove the locking lugs nearly as fast as the non-locking lugs.:dunno:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's YMMV on whether the dealer or tire shop has master keys that will work plus you get stuck paying what they want to charge. There's nothing from keeping the wheel lock manufacturer from changing up the design of wheel locks and keys. You can search various auto forums and you'll see that there are indeed cases where people have lost the key and the master key at the tire shop/dealer did not work. You can try the socket and hammer hack but you risk damaging your wheels. For the 5 mins it takes to register, you can order an exact replacement key for $20.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mixed reviews on Amazon and a review said that it doesn't work on the McGard nuts which is what is on some of these Mazda3s. Like I said, if it's not from the manufacturer, it's YMMV. For $5 more than what you pay at Sears for a generic tool, you can get the actual exact replacement key from McGard themselves.

Replacing the wheel locks in favour of generic ones certainly has it merits which I'm not arguing but for those that haven't switched them out, registering the key in case you misplace it does no harm.

·
Super Moderator
5,960 Posts
Replacing the wheel locks in favour of generic ones certainly has it merits which I'm not arguing but for those that haven't switched them out, registering the key in case you misplace it does no harm.
Getting rid of them entirely is the best way to avoid problems........
You'll most likely never have your rims stolen but you will eventually have some some sort of problem with the locking lugs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a bit of conjecture and it's not like regular wheel nuts are completely infallible either. Anecdotal but my friends that own or work in shops say that the biggest issue with wheel locks are that the owners misplace the key. I mean you do you but for those that prefer or still have wheel locks, having the ID number in safe keeping is just cheap insurance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts