2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a new Mazda 3 (manual) which has the electronic parking brake which I haven't used before. I park my car facing downwards on a steep 1 in 3 gradient downhill slope on my driveway. Will the the electronic parking brake release automatically when I reverse uphill out of the drive and prevent the car from rolling forwards (i.e. hill start assist working in reverse)? if not, how do you reverse up a steep incline from standstill?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a 2016 manual and I'm pretty sure Hill Assist works in reverse also. I remember being pleasantly surprised when it did. The electronic parking brake won't release manually, you control that, just like a manual parking brake. But the mechanism of Hill Assist uses your parking brake, and it doesn't matter whether the lever is electronic or manual.

Sounds like your driveway is similar to the one that the late actor Anton Yelchin had? Dangerous.

Reactions: sc489

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2016 manual and I'm pretty sure Hill Assist works in reverse also. I remember being pleasantly surprised when it did. The electronic parking brake won't release manually, you control that, just like a manual parking brake. But the mechanism of Hill Assist uses your parking brake, and it doesn't matter whether the lever is electronic or manual.

Sounds like your driveway is similar to the one that the late actor Anton Yelchin had? Dangerous.
Thanks. I also asked Mazda UK and they conformed what you said. I Googled Yelchin's drive and it doesn't seem too bad compared to the drive I need to negotiate - see photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
You also need your seat belt fastened or else it won't automatically release with throttle input.
Ah Ha! I've been wondering why sometimes it releases and sometimes it doesn't. I bet this is the difference (when moving the car in / our of garage to driveway or vice versa I don't usually put my belt on).

I'm now in the habbit of actually using the button to disengage just as I do to engage now though, but thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
143 Posts
But the mechanism of Hill Assist uses your parking brake, and it doesn't matter whether the lever is electronic or manual.
I think the Hill Assist does NOT use the parking brake system, but uses the regular brake system, by some other method of actuating them. I believe this because with the parking brake, you can hear the electronic actuator (a servo of some sort maybe) and ratcheting mechanism pull on the parking brake cable, but with Hill Assist, I hear nothing when it operates the brakes.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Get much water in your garage when it rains? Hard to tell if that's a tiny drain at the front-center of the door.

Wow!
I get no rain at all in the garage. There are V grooves in the concrete drive to guide the flow of water and a U shaped channel all along the front of the door with a drain in the centre into the public drain to drain away the water. I also have a wood threshold all the way along the inside bottom of the garage door to stop rain blowing underneath the door. No problem!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts