2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The short version for those who aren`t familiar: Had a 2016 3, built it, tuned, bolted, literally a day away from putting cams in it when it was hit by an inattentive driver and totaled, and a mere 5 months after I bought it.

I now own a GenPu Speed 3 (the car I was actually shopping for when I got the other one). I`ve had it for two weeks. It had a CS intake and TIP when I got it. Since I picke dit up I`ve done wheels, springs, exhaust (test pipe and catback), new plugs, JBR RSB, and a JBR short shift plate. Today, I ordered the HPFP internals upgrade (had some indications they were already installed but as it turns out I just have a healthy stock pump), the AccessPort, and the JBR 3" intake. Having Stratified handle the tuning on this one, and I`m going to do a 93 tune with a methanol system, still very much on the fence about E85. Also going to put on a bigger and more effective aftermarket TMIC next month. I don`t have any problem with front mount intercoolers, but I`m going for sleeper status here.

The first goal it to hit somewhere around 325whp and hang out there while I`m formulating the next wave...little bit bigger turbo and 400whp. I know a lot of cats get crazy going for big numbers. My goal is to have 400hp on tap wherever and whenever I want and have it as reliable as can be. Having absolutely no idea what the performance numbers are now, I`ll say I`d be elated at getting a low 12 second 1/4 mile out of it, and get it out and have some twisty track fun, too.

So yeah, I rolled the clock back a few years and got an older car than I had. But I`m rollin` on leather interior (sic), WAY more power on tap, and the cool wooshy sound a spooling turbo makes. There are a few things I left off, like an HID conversion and LED tail lights/turn signals (getting rear ended by someone going 70mph while you`re sitting still makes one want to make the rear lights as bright as legally possible). I`ve got a little bit of paint TLC to do, as there are a few regular local car shows I`d like to attend once spring hits.

Thanks for those who were along for the last one, and here`s to those who will be for this one :beerchug 1:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats. ... you really made some killer lemonade brother!

Took me a minute to catch the reference LOL. Thanks man, it`s just what needed to happen. This was just a car. It`s funny, the day I picked it up the sales guy said "Lucky you, you`re not financing so you don`t have to have full coverage". I gave it about 1.14 seconds of thought and said "yeah, it`s paid for. Even more reason to keep full coverage on it". And now I have full coverage on my Speed, again with no car payment. Stuff is stuff....replaceable. I walked away from the crash with little more than bumps and bruises, and *I* was the one who got to tell my son I had been in a crash. And now I get to start a new project :)

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny how the game changes when you have a LO.

I don't know how you gave up on all the tech though... but I know you were really shooting for the HP and now you have it!

Truthfully, the only thing I`m really missing is the blind spot monitor (and I do miss it!). Once I`ve got the Eonon head unit installed with the reverse camera this`ll basically a turbocharged version of my other one, with leather seats. And 2/3 the fuel economy LOL.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*not sure how this ended up in how-to, BTW*

I suppose I`ll be posting on this thread as my own personal build diary of sorts. The Gen2 platform isn`t new and there are plenty of them that have been modded to the gills, so it`s not like I`m doing anything pioneering here.

I`ve got it to about 300whp, and I figured it would be enough. It`s not. Don`t get me wrong, it`s enough to contend in most "stoplight grand prix", but that sense of "silly car, you have absolutely no idea what kind of whoop ass sits under this hood" just isn`t there. And for it, I`ll be strapping on about 50 more hp and a good 60ft/lbs of torque over the weekend. Bigger intake, intercooler, and E85 tune. More boost, a bit more timing, nice cool charge. Hopefully it`ll keep me placated until I can swing the bigger turbo and shoot for the 425hp mark. Much more than that and it`ll be time for rods and supplemental fuel (should be able to squirt enough methanol to do 450 without having to add a 5th injector). Doing 450 at the wheels, with the torque curve this engine makes....there won`t be a lot of cars on the streets that`ll hang, and I can get `er out on the long twisty track and really put my efforts to test.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All I can say at this point is "HOLY S**T". Bolted up the new intercooler and 3" intake today and got my first tune map for the E85 tune. 1st and 2nd gear are just there for comic relief. It`ll boil the tires in 3rd from cruising speed. And whatever Stratified did to the fuel/timing/boost map, it was awesome. Drivability is SO much better. Boost comes on much, much smoother. This is my stopping point until the big turbo in the spring. I`ll throw it on the dyno in a few weeks after we`ve had the chance to tweak the tune and see what she`s getting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts