2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, what abbreviation do you guys use for the red LED display to the right of the one that reports fuel economy? I think the fuel economy one is the MID (mileage information display?).

Second, and more to the point, I recently purchased a used 2010 Sport that came with the Bose Centerpoint audio.The previous owner replaced the OEM head unit with a cheap aftermarket one and it looks like he also cheaped out and didn't buy the factory integration adapter (PAC RP4-MZ11, I believe). At least, I think that's the problem, since the steering wheel controls don't work and that red display doesn't show anything but "Zoom-Zoom" and "Goodbye".

I want to put a nicer head unit in there and figured I'd buy the adapter at the same time. Will that bring functionality back to the red display in addition to the steering wheel? Or did the guy mess something up?

·
Registered
37 Posts
First, what abbreviation do you guys use for the red LED display to the right of the one that reports fuel economy? I think the fuel economy one is the MID (mileage information display?).

Second, and more to the point, I recently purchased a used 2010 Sport that came with the Bose Centerpoint audio.The previous owner replaced the OEM head unit with a cheap aftermarket one and it looks like he also cheaped out and didn't buy the factory integration adapter (PAC RP4-MZ11, I believe). At least, I think that's the problem, since the steering wheel controls don't work and that red display doesn't show anything but "Zoom-Zoom" and "Goodbye".

I want to put a nicer head unit in there and figured I'd buy the adapter at the same time. Will that bring functionality back to the red display in addition to the steering wheel? Or did the guy mess something up?
The steering wheel controls require a separate adapter harness, he might not have purchased that part. I just installed my alpine head unit, they were out of stock of the steering harness so ordered it offline. Unit still functions 100%, just no use of the steering wheel controls.

As for the RED display, hopefully someone else can chime in and help you out.

Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The steering wheel controls require a separate adapter harness, he might not have purchased that part. I just installed my alpine head unit, they were out of stock of the steering harness so ordered it offline. Unit still functions 100%, just no use of the steering wheel controls.
So does your red display still show...stuff? Other than the welcome and departure messages?

·
Registered
633 Posts

The display will not work with any aftermarket head unit, all you will get is what you are seeing, if you have a GT with dual zone climate control the bottom part of that screen will display the info for the climate control. also the MID display will not display audio info either. A Pac adapter will restore the steering wheel audio controls but not bluetooth.
The display may work with some of the cheap Chinese units, personally I have read of too many problems with those.

Pat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The display will not work with any aftermarket head unit, all you will get is what you are seeing, if you have a GT with dual zone climate control the bottom part of that screen will display the info for the climate control. also the MID display will not display audio info either. A Pac adapter will restore the steering wheel audio controls but not bluetooth.
The display may work with some of the cheap Chinese units, personally I have read of too many problems with those.
Well, nuts. I don't have the GT, just the Sport, so I guess it's forever destined to be a red line.

So even if the head unit has native BT and I install the PAC adapter, the steering wheel controls won't do anything but volume? I was hoping for at least BT control if the unit has it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well, nuts. I don't have the GT, just the Sport, so I guess it's forever destined to be a red line.

So even if the head unit has native BT and I install the PAC adapter, the steering wheel controls won't do anything but volume? I was hoping for at least BT control if the unit has it.
Yep you cannot control the Bluetooth on an aftermarket head unit with the PAC controller you can control all the audio functions though.

Pat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check out Crutchfields sight as they list what you will lose if you change decks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The PAC RP4-MZ11 will retain ALL SWC as well as give you the ability to put custom text on the LCD screen. Here is a video of it in action.

RP4-MZ11 Factory LCD Retention - YouTube
Yep, just found this out today, actually, as I'm trying to install a new HU and spent an extra $80 on the RP4-MZ11...but my amp is dead (as far as I can tell), so I have no idea how I'm going to get the audio back up and running without spending money on a new one or rewiring the car. I'd rather just bypass the amp the altogether, but I suspect that won't work or more people would have done it :(

·
2012 Mazda 3i Sport owner
245 Posts
Man that PAC adapter is pretty rad. Would have saved me a little soldering on the Metra AXXESS

1 - 10 of 10 Posts