2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought 2014 hatchback 3 about a month ago. On the first week I had this problem a couple times where the red key symbol is lit when driving and also before starting the engine (clutch pedal down). After shutting the engine a green key symbol starts blinking.

Also sometimes after turning off power and leaving the car it makes around 8 rapid beeps and sometimes after that the door locks start to close and open repeatedly. This ends when I press unlock button on the key fob.

I turned off the walkaway locking and thought it solved the problem since it didn't do it anymore. Untill few days ago when the red key symbol came back and locks went crazy. It's been quite humid and raining as it was when it happened the first time and thought if thats what is causing the issue.

Also tried another key fob and replacing the battery with no luck.

The manual says that if red key symbol illuminates there might be an issue with the starting system. But the engine starts normally and that wouldnt explain the locking going on and off.

Anyone else had this problem or any idea what's the reason for it?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Also tried another key fob and replacing the battery with no luck.
I assume replacing the fob battery and trying the 2nd fob had the same exact results.

A couple of things to do before having to remove the gas tank....kidding. Do a system reset of the CMU/infotainment system under settings. Resetting the system also defaults settings. If that doesn't work, disconnect the battery cable for 10 minutes. While disconnected, press the start button a few times, and while your at it press any other button in the car to remove any static memory like you would do with laptop or doing a battery pull on your smart phone. Keep in mind removing the battery cable also clears your OBD emission status and takes a few drive cycles before they reset to "OK"...not really important unless you're taking your car for a smog check tomorrow.

Finally, check the car battery....these are also clear and well documented signs of a dying battery, particularly when the system electronics begin to act erratically.

Don't think you need to worry about a faulty ECU or other electronic system at this point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts