2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so i know i just posted the thread showing my eyelids, but i also want to show the new led's i installed in the footwells. I have the 2011 so of course it did not come with them. I know a few others have done this as well, but i remember them stating they wired it into the cigarette lighter fuse. I took a little different route and wired them into the glovebox light. This way i felt was more convenient because it would only come on when i turned on the headlights.

Sooo i had to remove the dash trim and glovebox which i learned how to do from a thread in the How To section and it was very helpful! Once i had it pulled out and saw the wires to the glovebox light, i took the led strips wires and used quick splice snaps to make the connection. This was extremely easy and very convenient as well. I hooked both led's up and used a hanger to pull the drivers side strip through a small opening under the dash. I then just used the 3M tape that was already attatched to put the strips in place, and reinstalled the dash trim and glovebox! All wires are tucked away and everything came out perfect!

BTW i got the led strips from Autozone and they were the flexible 24" set.

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
Can you cut the strip down to like the size of one bulb? I like ambient lighting, don't want to light up the whole car.

This picture was taken just before sunset so it was still a little bright outside.

This is what I used...just one...

I also wired to the glove box light.. oznium also sells an inline dimmer switch that I also bought and hooked up to give a little control over the brightness.. it all works great and even the brightest setting isn't over powering since I am only using 1 tri-led.

·
Registered
262 Posts
^ Thats awesome, so the Glove box light only works when the headlights(or parking lights) are switched on? That would make this ideal for a NON on/off switch set up for sure.

·
Registered
279 Posts
^ Thats awesome, so the Glove box light only works when the headlights(or parking lights) are switched on? That would make this ideal for a NON on/off switch set up for sure.
Yeah... so Mazda in there efforts to shave a few pennies a car didn't put a switch in the glovebox that turns the light on when you open it... they wired it straight to the headlight/parking light circuit.. I suppose there thought was.. if you are using lights.. its dark.. therefore, glove light needs to be on. lol

The dummy light you need for the install is in ozniums dummy light kit (like 3-4 bucks)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Yeah... so Mazda in there efforts to shave a few pennies a car didn't put a switch in the glovebox that turns the light on when you open it... they wired it straight to the headlight/parking light circuit.. I suppose there thought was.. if you are using lights.. its dark.. therefore, glove light needs to be on. lol

The dummy light you need for the install is in ozniums dummy light kit (like 3-4 bucks)
You mean dummy light to pop in the bulb housing right? I guess one could then leave a few LEDs in the glove box, and wire the rest in the foot wells, to get both the glove box a brighter light and still have ambient lighting. Cool, I may do this over the weekend....

·
Registered
279 Posts
You mean dummy light to pop in the bulb housing right? I guess one could then leave a few LEDs in the glove box, and wire the rest in the foot wells, to get both the glove box a brighter light and still have ambient lighting. Cool, I may do this over the weekend....
YEP! The pack of "dummy" lights from oznium comes with i think 3-4 different kinds.. its obvious which to use! I don't really use the glove box for anything important.. but you could certainly add some LEDs in there to get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you cut the strip down to like the size of one bulb? I like ambient lighting, don't want to light up the whole car.
Well i drove around last night and they didnt bother me at all so i don't see what the point of cutting them down would be, but yea i could cut the strips i bought to a shorter length with less bulbs. I think the brightness i have is perfect and looks so cool at night. It also definately doesn't light up my whole car. I just feel if they were less bright they wouldnt be very noticeable and as enjoyable, imho.

·
Registered
26 Posts

This picture was taken just before sunset so it was still a little bright outside.

This is what I used...just one...

I also wired to the glove box light.. oznium also sells an inline dimmer switch that I also bought and hooked up to give a little control over the brightness.. it all works great and even the brightest setting isn't over powering since I am only using 1 tri-led.
Don't see a picture.

Oops! Must have not reloaded the page after I logged in. I see it now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
YEP! The pack of "dummy" lights from oznium comes with i think 3-4 different kinds.. its obvious which to use! I don't really use the glove box for anything important.. but you could certainly add some LEDs in there to get the best of both worlds.
Do you have to have a dummy light for the glove box? Why do you have to change the glove box light at all? Won't the power be diverted to the LED's once there installed?

·
Registered
279 Posts
Do you have to have a dummy light for the glove box? Why do you have to change the glove box light at all? Won't the power be diverted to the LED's once there installed?
Well to directly answer your question... no..

You could always tap into the circuit elsewhere by splicing wires or what not. What the dummy light allows you to do, is simply use the current hardware to power the LEDs. The glovebox light is already on a fuse and there is enough juice to power the light anyway, so putting in some LEDs would not over draw current.

The way the dummy light works is that it has the "plug" of the normal light, but instead of the bulb, it has a positive and ground wire.. which allows you to run whatever you attach to it through the bulb socket.

I hope this makes sense.. not feeling my best this morning so I can't think completely straight :tongue:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts