2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fed up with this issue. Stock wheels on my 2012 hatchback eventually started vibrating, sold the rims and tires since I wanted to upgrade. Bought 17 inch rims and tires. Great ride until vibrations show up again. Found out that the wheel was out of balance. Balanced it and of still had vibrations apparently because of tire wear due to the balancing? Sold those wheels (didn't like the look) Bought winter steelie and tires 16 inch. drove great until...vibration. I tightened the lug a bit more 100lbs. Seemed better but kept getting worst over time. Got new summer rx8 rims and new tires. Awesome setup. Much better than anything I got so far as ride comfort. Had them for 3 days....vibrations. Small, minute always there ...vibrations. I knew it wasn't just me because my forearms, both of them, were getting sharp pains in them from the constant minute vibrations. It's oscillating and my brain and body know it even thought I'm not sure if it is. My nerves keep vibrating after I stop from a long drive.

I got my wheels balanced and rebalanced at times, verified and tightened the nuts, changed rims and tires and still shows up. Paying for new tires and finding that something is chewing my tires and causing this annoying vibration ever so slowly is aggravating. The vibration is a dead give away. It shows up over time and gets worst over time. I also have a 2012 sedan and it have no issues like this although it still have stock rims and tires. But that car has not given me any issues with vibrations at all. Even with winter tires installed.

The heck is going on. Anyone have a similar experience? Ball joint? Control arm? losing weights?

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Take it to a proper front end shop and tell them your problem and have them check out the suspension. Its obviously not wheels and tires so something in the suspension has to be wrong

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm leaning in that direction. I'm first going to go back to the guys who installed my tires and make sure that no weights fell off or improper machine calibration. That has happened before at other shops. I've had a Mazda 2 with a 4 rotors warped and replaced under warranty for vibrations after asking them to check for that specific issue and they found the two front ones to be out of specs. I still had vibrations but felt like it came from the back and got them to check those. Same issue. Replaced under warranty. Vibrations gone.

I know my issue is not engine related because when I place it in neutral on the highway it's still there. But braking does not amplify it. On my way to work today I didn't feel it as much. Not sure if I am getting used to it or tires are adjusting. I've heard of stacking tires without rims causing the rubber to warp a bit. From the whole seller to the distributor to my basement. They could have warped but I just learned about that today. From this car's history of vibrations I'll be asking Mazda to inspect the suspension soon.

I hate to say this because cars and sensors are common these days but...we need more sensors on cars. If something is out of alignments or moving due to wear, a sensor should know about it.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
The sensor is the person behind the wheel.

The last thing cars need is more unnecessary things to go wrong.

·
Registered
817 Posts
May I make a suggestion... buy yourself a inexpensive torque wrench ( I found one from JEG'S RACING CATALOG) and start torqueing the lug nuts to spec, I screwed up and broke studs. Torque-drive-re torque. Old hondas were known for this issue when the techs used their impact guns to bolt on the wheels. Google that shit and you will see what I mean.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts