2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sirs, I have a 2011 Mazda 3S 2.5 M/T and I just wanted to know what the best path would be for around 200 HP. Ideally, I want the extra power but try to keep as much of the reliability as I can. I was reading on a another thread the 2.5 engine cant handle much more then 250HP, so around 200 is what I would be shooting for. SRI, Exhaust, Tune? You guys think that would put me closest to 200 or more mods are needed? Like I said, going for more power but not to the point where my reliability goes in the pooper.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So sirs, I have a 2011 Mazda 3S 2.5 M/T and I just wanted to know what the best path would be for around 200 HP. Ideally, I want the extra power but try to keep as much of the reliability as I can. I was reading on a another thread the 2.5 engine cant handle much more then 250HP, so around 200 is what I would be shooting for. SRI, Exhaust, Tune? You guys think that would put me closest to 200 or more mods are needed? Like I said, going for more power but not to the point where my reliability goes in the pooper.
stock 2.5L engine has been shown to support over 350WHP with boost.
intake/ exhaust / header / tune can get you close to 200, but not 200. (realistically more like 180-185)

A mildly built 2.5L engine N/A will easily net 200+

·
Registered
975 Posts
intake/ exhaust / header / tune can get you close to 200, but not 200. (realistically more like 180-185)
This.
If you plan on just attaching things to it, you aren't going to really get near 200hp at all. Flywheel sure, not to the ground though.

Unless you're referring to taking apart the engine (but I'll assume no since you only mentioned intake and exhaust). Then lots can be done to get over 200hp, but the daily "ability" will be a bit decreased not to mention not having a running car the entire time it's being built.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Understood. So, as far as taking the engine apart, what would you suggest that would be an increase of power but keep longevity overall. I'm financing this thing so i need it to last but i want at least 200hp and I'll be happy. 200, at the wheels of course.

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
You will get this a lot, because it's true: The money you will spend trying to get 200 HP to the wheels is better saved for a platform with more potential and aftermarket support. Besides the parts listed above, cost associated with getting from 200 BHP to 200 WHP increases real quick.

Edit: If you are serious about this, I recommend looking through threads of some of the 2.5 swaps on the miata forums.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had no idea that the mazda 3's didn't have much aftermarket support? I would have thought they had alot of potential and support. That's disappointing.

·
Registered
975 Posts
If you're financing it... then I wouldn't exactly be thinking about taking apart and trying to rebuild something you technically do not own. Just my 2c.

Mazda 3s have a very small aftermarket supply, most of it engine wise comes from the only fortunate part about the car, and that's the MZR engine, which is a Duratec, which is in a ton of vehicles.

But seriously... you don't own the vehicle, it's not really a good idea to modify it. I mean it's just a really... really bad idea.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts