2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the stock camera, so I can't really tell you the best. Honestly, that one looks good. Just make sure it fits in the stock mounting position before you buy. You can probably wire it the same way as the stock one, just look at the service manual to see where they're splicing into power.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Get the instructions for installing the rear parking sensors. Tieing into the backup lights is difficult given their location. There is a lead off of the rear body control module that provides power only when backing up. You can tap that. There is also a grommet towards the rear where you can push the wire through so it goes underneath the bumper. The instructions will also tell you how to remove all of the body panels necessary so you can bring the display wire to the front. I've done the installation of the rear parking sensors myself so I know all of those things are there. It will require removal of the rear bumper which, while involved, is not really that difficult. However, set aside some time to do the install as it took me close to 7 hours to do everything in a quality manner. That said, my install also included a sub and LOC power line and trailer wiring.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get the instructions for installing the rear parking sensors. Tieing into the backup lights is difficult given their location. There is a lead off of the rear body control module that provides power only when backing up. You can tap that. There is also a grommet towards the rear where you can push the wire through so it goes underneath the bumper. The instructions will also tell you how to remove all of the body panels necessary so you can bring the display wire to the front. I've done the installation of the rear parking sensors myself so I know all of those things are there. It will require removal of the rear bumper which, while involved, is not really that difficult. However, set aside some time to do the install as it took me close to 7 hours to do everything in a quality manner. That said, my install also included a sub and LOC power line and trailer wiring.
Know where I can find those instructions, googled around a bit but didn't see them? I'm going to have someone install it, but if I could give them more info that would help (also doing speakers, sub, LOC)

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Know where I can find those instructions, googled around a bit but didn't see them? I'm going to have someone install it, but if I could give them more info that would help (also doing speakers, sub, LOC)
I have the physical instructions but not the pdf. The instruction booklet is 46 pages long as you have to remove almost all of the driver's side trim plus the rear seat cushion (to get some of the trim off). Most of the trim just pulls off if you pull it in the right direction. Typically, you pull the ends of the trim out and then up. The footwell cover has a big nut in the top back that you just unscrew. You need to pull up the door seals and trunk seals before you can remove most of the trim. To remove the rear bumper you have to remove the rear lights and the fender liners underneath the car first. You can tie into the RBCM 18 pin connector, which is Blue on the red wire coming out of pin 4S/top left of that connector. Top of connector is where the tab is located. The RCBM is located in the rear hatch/trunk area underneath the trim which needs to be removed. I ran the power wires for the sub and LOC down the driver's side of the vehicle in the same location as you will want to run the display wire for the back-up camera. You can do all of this without removing the trim in much less time, but the install will not be clean and I didn't want to take the risk that any power wires will be shorted. The sub is connected directly to the battery with at least an 8 gauge wire. The LOC should be powered by an ignition accessory wire. I put an add-a-circuit tap on the bottom left fuse of the fuse panel in the driver's footwell for this and other accessories like a power outlet and the radar detector. At one time, MedCenter Mazda had the pdf, but they don't have it now. If you have a good installer, he should understand what I've said. Good luck.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the 2014 Mazda 3 iSport (4-door). Default radio, but I'm installing a tablet and was looking at backup cameras. Any recommendations? I was thinking something like this as I'm thinking using the rear light would be the cleanest install:
Car Rearview Back Up Camera CCD 170 Angle Wateproof Car Reversing Camera for Kia | eBay
Be aware: the OEM camera uses 6 Vdc. If you want to install an aftermarket camera, almost all of them need 12 Vdc. The problem is that if you want to use the infotainment to display the image it need to sense the video feed on startup so you can't tap into the reverse light as it's done on most systems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Be aware: the OEM camera uses 6 Vdc. If you want to install an aftermarket camera, almost all of them need 12 Vdc. The problem is that if you want to use the infotainment to display the image it need to sense the video feed on startup so you can't tap into the reverse light as it's done on most systems.
Do you (or anyone) have an idea to install aftermarket camera(12Vdc) that work with center display? I try install myself 5doors Mazda3 sky. Center display can not display rear camera view every time I off engine for a while. I have to enter into diagnostic mode and use "61" code to request to get rear camera display in my center display and work until I off engine again(for a while). Thank you.

·
Banned
351 Posts
attention. the cam work at 6v . the car is completely cabled. in italy we have mounted aqn aftermarket cam whit success
If your car does not have a rear view camera, camera 12 V can be installed additionally. After installation, do not forget to restart the CMU. You must use two diodes be connected to the +6 and +12 from the reversing light. CMU will automatically detect the camera.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
If your car does not have a rear view camera, camera 12 V can be installed additionally. After installation, do not forget to restart the CMU. You must use two diodes be connected to the +6 and +12 from the reversing light. CMU will automatically detect the camera.
Looks great! Do you have a link to buy that camera?

·
Banned
351 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Camera and screen unit

Can anyone suggest a model of camera and screen on the rear view mirror unit that you have installed on a Mazda 3? My can does not have a screen unit on the dash so I am looking for both the camera and display. Most posts I read here are cameras added to a car that already had an infortainment unit with ability to display video.

·
Registered
33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Many people in the German forums bought that one:

Link

Nice thing is that it replaces one of the license plate lights. No drilling needed. It needs 12 Volts, so people use a step up converter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts