2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, i just picked up a used 2006 mazda 3 with the 2.3l engine. I am going to just drive it this winter how it is just to get a feel for it and see if I can notice any issues and then early next year when the weather gets better, I am planning to do all the maintenance needed for 100,000 miles. The reason I want to do it all at once rather then one by one is because I want and need this car to be reliable so I dont have time for it to break down etc etc. the past owner doesnt really know about the maintnenace info since hes not a car guy at all. I checked the car fax for my vehicle and it seems like it recently he had the automatic transmission serviced which i assume means new fluid and filter, it got new power steering, new brake fluid and new brakes, new air filter. So i know i will be fine for all the fluids. I did some short research and it seems like I will probably have to change the following but looking for feedback or if im missing anything

(just changed both belts and the tensioner this weekend)
1. Spark plugs and wires? or just the plugs? - have to check them tho because maybe they were changed in the past 1-2 years
2. Water pump and new coolant?
3. i believe the alternator is making a whine so i will have to check that before i decide to replace it
4. all the o2 sensors?
5. clean the maf/throttle body
6. fuel filter?
7. something about a thermostat? what is that?

let me know if i am missing anything or if any of the top arent necessary mainteance

ill probably order all of the stuff from rockauto, any recommendations for brands?

thx a ton!

·
Registered
'06 Mazda3, '00 Millenia, '20 CX-30, F150 Supercrew 4x4, Corvette Grand Sport
5 Posts
Not to be contrary... Ha Ha Rather than waiting until after the winter (which hasn't officially started yet) why not get some of that looked at/taken care of now? Better safe than sorry on a car you don't know too much about and the previous owner evidently didn't either - how long did the previous owner own it? It doesn't sound like very long at all or they would know some of the basic info they don't seem to know. Changing the spark plugs is probably less than $50 (even in Canada) and shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes if you have a wrench. I just changed them on my '06 2.3L a month or two ago - I have about 155,000 miles on my car and that was the 2nd set it's had. FYI, there are no plug wires - there's a coil attached to the top of each spark plug. You might be careful popping that off the existing plugs because they do look like they could be easily damaged or you could break one of the small wires that feeds them. Use a good quality Iridium plug. Just pop off the plastic engine cover (it only snaps in place) and the 4 plugs are right there, easy to get to. Maybe I should have but I've never changed the fuel filter on my car - I have religiously had the oil & filter changed every 3,000 miles since new and an air filter annually. Other than tires/rotation I've replaced the battery 2-3 times, gotten front & rear struts and swapped the antifreeze/coolant twice. That's it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to be contrary... Ha Ha Rather than waiting until after the winter (which hasn't officially started yet) why not get some of that looked at/taken care of now? Better safe than sorry on a car you don't know too much about and the previous owner evidently didn't either - how long did the previous owner own it? It doesn't sound like very long at all or they would know some of the basic info they don't seem to know. Changing the spark plugs is probably less than $50 (even in Canada) and shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes if you have a wrench. I just changed them on my '06 2.3L a month or two ago - I have about 155,000 miles on my car and that was the 2nd set it's had. FYI, there are no plug wires - there's a coil attached to the top of each spark plug. You might be careful popping that off the existing plugs because they do look like they could be easily damaged or you could break one of the small wires that feeds them. Use a good quality Iridium plug. Just pop off the plastic engine cover (it only snaps in place) and the 4 plugs are right there, easy to get to. Maybe I should have but I've never changed the fuel filter on my car - I have religiously had the oil & filter changed every 3,000 miles since new and an air filter annually. Other than tires/rotation I've replaced the battery 2-3 times, gotten front & rear struts and swapped the antifreeze/coolant twice. That's it.
thanks for the reply! he had it for 7 years and his sisters drove it more, seems like the maintenace was done by these oil change places but he did take it into a shop to get some other work done.
the only reason i dont want to start yet is cuz i dont have space in my garage and its already super cold up in canada where i live. the car runs fine so far and i was thinking of spending these next 2 minths listenining and making sure i dont notice anything else wrong just so i can do everything at once.!

did you ever do the thermostat or o2 sensors or water pump?

·
Registered
'06 Mazda3, '00 Millenia, '20 CX-30, F150 Supercrew 4x4, Corvette Grand Sport
5 Posts
thanks for the reply! he had it for 7 years and his sisters drove it more, seems like the maintenace was done by these oil change places but he did take it into a shop to get some other work done.
the only reason i dont want to start yet is cuz i dont have space in my garage and its already super cold up in canada where i live. the car runs fine so far and i was thinking of spending these next 2 minths listenining and making sure i dont notice anything else wrong just so i can do everything at once.!

did you ever do the thermostat or o2 sensors or water pump?
I did forget...I replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses several years ago and swapped out the thermostat at that time. I haven't touched the o2 sensors or water pump. On my '00 Millenia the timing belt has to be changed from time to time. My car is 20 years old (bought new - ~79,000 miles or ~130,000 kms) and I've had the time belt changed twice - the last time (maybe 2 years ago) I had them change the water pump while they were at it along with the thermostat, radiator hoses and spark plugs. I TRY to do simple things like that before they become an issue. During a timing belt change (a Mazda3 has a chain) is a great time to change stuff because the engine is fairly well torn down anyway so very little extra labor charges.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did forget...I replaced the upper and lower radiator hoses several years ago and swapped out the thermostat at that time. I haven't touched the o2 sensors or water pump. On my '00 Millenia the timing belt has to be changed from time to time. My car is 20 years old (bought new - ~79,000 miles or ~130,000 kms) and I've had the time belt changed twice - the last time (maybe 2 years ago) I had them change the water pump while they were at it along with the thermostat, radiator hoses and spark plugs. I TRY to do simple things like that before they become an issue. During a timing belt change (a Mazda3 has a chain) is a great time to change stuff because the engine is fairly well torn down anyway so very little extra labor charges.

Gotcha thanks! Do you know when our timing chains are due for the 2.5?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best to be as careful as possible on a vehicle you don't realize a lot about and the past proprietor clearly didn't either - how since quite a while ago did the past proprietor own it? It doesn't seem as though extremely long at all or they would know a portion of the fundamental information they don't appear to know. Changing the flash fittings is presumably under $50 (even in Canada) and Kodi nox shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes on the off chance that you have a wrench. I just transformed them on my '06 2.3L every month or two back - I have around 155,000 miles on my vehicle and that was the second set it's had. FYI, there are no fitting wires - there's a curl joined to the highest point of each sparkle plug. You may be cautious popping that off the current attachments since they do appear as though they could be effortlessly harmed or you could break one of the little wires that takes care of them. Utilize a decent quality Iridium plug. Simply fly off the plastic motor cover (it just snaps set up) and the 4 fittings are in that general area, simple to get to. Possibly I ought to have yet I've never changed the fuel channel on my vehicle - I have strictly had the oil and channel changed each 3,000 miles since new and an air channel every year. Other than tires/revolution I've supplanted the battery 2-3 times, gotten front and back swaggers and traded the radiator fluid/coolant twice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called around at the mazda dealerships and it seems like my coolant was last changed around 2012-2013 and that was about 60,000 km ago. its been 8 years. The color looks fine and the car was barely driven. Would you still drain and fill the coolant or would you wait till its driven more? sometimes its hard to follow the manual cuz you dont know if they make shorter intervals as a money grab.
thx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts