2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang. Is there any reason not to update my software with the latest official version? I am still reading through the information on the AIO tweeks (probably not the right terminology), and I haven't decided if I want to start down that road yet. Pretty daunting for a complete noob in this area. So, should I go ahead and install the latest version for now or is there a reason to wait until I figure out the AIO thing? Thanks!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Answers to your questions:
1. No, there is no reason not to update your software with the latest official version.
2. There is a reason to wait until you figured out the AIO thing, if you want to use AIO tweaks.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well hell, I responded but I don't see my post. My question was whether I would loose some capability if I do the update and then decide to go with the AIO? If so, what would it be? Thanks!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To understand the structure. And keep in mind that I'm working and haven't had a chance to look this up but please check my reasoning. If it's wrong, do let me know.

There are 3 separate things that can be updated?
  • System software/firmware
  • The one above done by removing the SD card and plugging it into a computer
  • NAV update
  • Uploading it from computer to flash drive then updating via the display on dash
  • Gracenote using the same method as the NAV
Could be wrong about everything. Thank you guys!

·
Super Moderator
4,877 Posts
First you need to determine what software version your car has. AIO won't work on later versions without some effort. There are many discussions on this...If you have a version where you can't apply AIO without jumping through the hoops, it doesn't really matter if you update or not.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My question was whether I would loose some capability if I do the update and then decide to go with the AIO? If so, what would it be? Thanks!
If you update to the latest MZD firmware (FW) 70.00.352 NA (yours is 55.00.760 NA), you would loose the capability to install tweaks via USB. USB installing of tweaks is blocked since 59.00.502. To unblock it, you would have to do the serial access with ID7v2: www.mazdatweaks.com/id7 (as info the old serial access: www.mazdatweak.com/serial).

There are 3 separate things that can be updated?
  • System software/firmware
  • The one above done by removing the SD card and plugging it into a computer
  • NAV update
  • Uploading it from computer to flash drive then updating via the display on dash
  • Gracenote using the same method as the NAV
Could be wrong about everything. Thank you guys!
The three updateable things:
  • MZD firmware version (yours is 55.00.760) via USB Stick FAT32 (use windows, not MAC)
  • Music database = Gracenote (yours 00.05.00) via USB Stick FAT32 (use windows, not MAC)
  • Nav-SD via Mazda Toolbox at your PC
I would recommend to you the following steps to avoid serial access & keep capability to install AIO tweaks if you decide to do that in the future:
1. Install ID7/Autorun tweak from AIO tweaks from www.mazdatweaks.com at your current MZD firmware version 55.00.760
2. Update MZD firmware: a) to 59.00.546 NA if you want to install AIO Android Auto tweak OR b) to 70.00.100 NA if you do not want to use AIO Android Auto (AA) tweak. Reason: AIO AA does not work at any FW 70.
Higher versions than 70.00.100 (like 70.00.335 NA and the latest 70.00.352 NA) will delete the ID7/Autorun tweak and you will loose capability to install AIO tweaks via USB.
Only install a FW that is for your region - I assume North America = NA N or called NA.
3. Install AIO tweaks if you whish to.

If you decide not to use AIO tweaks in the future, you can update to latest FW 70.00.352 NA.

Read the FW update PDF and stick to the word to it, as you might brick your MZD/CMU otherwise. All on your own risk. FW updates are inofficial, as Mazda only intends to let dealers do the FW updates.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you update to the latest MZD firmware (FW) 70.00.352 (yours is 55.00.760), you would loose the capability to install tweaks via USB. USB installing of tweaks is blocked since 59.00.502. To unblock it you would have to to the serial access with ID7v2: www.mazdatweaks.com/id7 (as info the old serial access: www.mazdatweak.com/serial).

The three updateable things:
  • MZD firmware version (yours is 55.00.760) via USB Stick FAT32 (use windows, not MAC)
  • Music database = Gracenote (yours 00.05.00) via USB Stick FAT32 (use windows, not MAC)
I would recommend to you the following steps to avoid serial access & keep capability to install AIO tweaks if you decide to do that in the future:
1. Install ID7/Autorun tweak from AIO tweaks from www.mazdatweaks.com at your current MZD firmware version 55.00.760
2. Update MZD firmware: a) to 59.00.546 NA if you want to install AIO Android Auto tweak OR b) to 70.00.100 NA if you do not want to use AIO Android Auto (AA) tweak. Reason: AIO AA does not work at any FW 70.
Higher versions than 70.00.100 (like 70.00.335 NA and the latest 70.00.352 NA) will delete the ID7/Autorun tweak and you will loose capability to install AIO tweaks via USB.
Only install a FW that is for your region - I assume North America = NA N or called NA.
3. Install AIO tweaks if you whish to.

If you decide not to use AIO tweaks in the future, you can update to latest FW 70.00.352 NA.

Read the FW update PDF and stick to the word to it, as you might brick your MZD/CMU otherwise. All on your own risk. FW updates are inofficial, as Mazda only intends to let dealers do the FW updates.
Excellent comprehensive response sir, thank you! I will look up some of the things you mentioned so I can better understand the details and proceed from there. @Tristan-cx5 +1 my friend!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joined Nov 28, 2017
725 Posts
#10 2 hours ago (Edited)

For steps 1 & 2, are these the correct files?

·
Registered
824 Posts
For step 1 the red circle. The green circle are no files, just info - the files are included in the files of the red circle.

Inofficial source for step 2 files & PDF instruction/update manual (NA firmware, not latest) is here.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey gang. Is there any reason not to update my software with the latest official version? I am still reading through the information on the AIO tweeks (probably not the right terminology), and I haven't decided if I want to start down that road yet. Pretty daunting for a complete noob in this area. So, should I go ahead and install the latest version for now or is there a reason to wait until I figure out the AIO thing? Thanks!
As a former business analyst I know the pros and cons of open and closed source programming, as do the others here who actually do the programming and have contributed a great deal, ie AIO tweeks.

The short answer to your complicated question is know first what you are updating and why? Don't be in a hurry unless the word is the car will die. Many uniformed will simply say the latest is the greatest but not "usually always" is the case. With open source when you fix or enhance something "here", you quite often change something "over there". That wasn't always a problem years ago when programming was done in a test tube office environment and there were testers like me to make sure all the functions worked before a new version went out...but now we have become lazy and just hope the main functions of the program work. One of the biggest clues of this is version numbers and how quickly a new version appears...quite often as with Mazda, a new version fixed something they overlooked and didn't test before they released. This is fact and has occurred multiple times with Mazda.

For me, I don't rush out to update the Mazda firmware as I might with other firmware or software updates...I wait and let everyone tell me the issues they have...hence, I'm still running v 59 and I'm happy with it. No issues. I do have AIO installed as well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As a former business analyst I know the pros and cons of open and closed source programming, as do the others here who actually do the programming and have contributed a great deal, ie AIO tweeks.

The short answer to your complicated question is know first what you are updating and why? Don't be in a hurry unless the word is the car will die. Many uniformed will simply say the latest is the greatest but not "usually always" is the case. With open source when you fix or enhance something "here", you quite often change something "over there". That wasn't always a problem years ago when programming was done in a test tube office environment and there were testers like me to make sure all the functions worked before a new version went out...but now we have become lazy and just hope the main functions of the program work. One of the biggest clues of this is version numbers and how quickly a new version appears...quite often as with Mazda, a new version fixed something they overlooked and didn't test before they released. This is fact and has occurred multiple times with Mazda.

For me, I don't rush out to update the Mazda firmware as I might with other firmware or software updates...I wait and let everyone tell me the issues they have...hence, I'm still running v 59 and I'm happy with it. No issues. I do have AIO installed as well.
Solid reasoning and something I've thought about since I've used other open source software for other purposes. I am not in a rush, I am simply trying to understand the entire system as a whole. For someone new to all of this, even Mazda's own websites are confusing. That's why I tried to establish each separate portion. I am still trying to process all of the information so that I am sure of each step I take as I take it. I appreciate your input!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Can not install FACTORY Carplay / Android Auto IF you are on ANYTHING below 70.00.100....like 55 or 59.

The Changelog is HUGE to fix known issues, the latest Firmware IS ALWAYS the best to install.
IF you want AIO then that is your option....follow what Tristan said (expert), BEFORE you update your Firmware.
Okay, this makes me pause.
  1. Do you have to "buy" something to install Android Auto?
  2. Is your advice consistent with @Tristan-cx5? I thought he said that if I wanted AA, I should "not" go to version 70.
Still not understanding 100% but I'm closer than before. Thanks!

·
Registered
824 Posts
For official Mazda AA you have to buy new hardware (hub+cables) and you need FW70. This is what you will find in ASH8 PDF/infos.

If you want to use the inofficial AIO AA Tweak from www.mazdatweaks.com instead, you should not update to FW70, as this tweak does not work properly at any FW70. But if you can install tweaks via usb depends... it was only possible from factory before FW 59.00.502. Afterwards it is blocked - usually... if you have not installed the ID7/Autorun Tweak before updating to 59.00.502+ or you did a serial access... but both you would know, if you have done it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts