2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. Just wanted to throw this out for anyone looking for MORE real world details.

Got the 2014 MZ3 iTouring 6speed manual with Tech in August of 14. Currently sitting around 14k miles.

Just traveled from Youngstown Ohio to Indiana (320 miles one way).Over the recent trip I noticed a few things.
  • Clutch has a VERY faint squeak when depressed slowly
  • Windows are very noisy when down(Maybe deflectors would help?)
  • Seat is comfortable enough to drive 5 hours without stopping
  • Navigation is great, a lot of people hate on it, but i think it was worth the extra $
  • Cross winds toss her around a bit. #TinyCarProblems
  • Torque holds well on most hills at 70-74mph in 6th gear
  • On the way down, 44.4 MPG
  • On the way back, 47.4 MPG
  • No i cant explain the change in MPG. Yes it was the same route. lol

A few other things. Buy the all weather mats. They come in handy. Great cup holder space. I tend to have 2 or 3 different drinks with me in the car(red bull, tea, water bottle).

Somethings I dont have but will be getting soon. Tinted windows, Homelink Mirror, cargo net for the trunk, fog lights, and of course stickers(each sticker is 5 more horsepower).

Over all i am very pleased with the MZ3. I am a high mileage driver. 15-20k a year, so when i saw specs like this it was no brainer purchase.

Hope someone finds this helpful!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
When I drove from LA to Vegas I do sometimes hit crosswinds and it does toss the car around a bit, I think lowering the car will help with this. I haven't been in a car that's not noisy with the windows down lol and having window visors won't really help much with the noise, wind just doesn't hit your face as much.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Glad someone else mentioned the cross winds. I was starting to worry that my wheel lug nuts were not tighted or my wheels were wobbly on a stretch near my house.

·
Registered
356 Posts
i had a squeaky in the clutch when the car was newer, its gone now (2014, iGT with 48,000 miles).
sometimes my seat cushion squeaks when it compresses against the plastic housing on the left side when i clutch in.
if you find the windows loud, try opening two windows. if you have only one open, the 3 has buffeting problems (common for these cars).

·
Registered
184 Posts
i had a squeaky in the clutch when the car was newer, its gone now (2014, iGT with 48,000 miles).
sometimes my seat cushion squeaks when it compresses against the plastic housing on the left side when i clutch in.
if you find the windows loud, try opening two windows. if you have only one open, the 3 has buffeting problems (common for these cars).
wow you drive a lot... O_O!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your high mileage probably indicates that your tire pressure if far above than the factory recommended setting. If your cold tire pressure is high, your car will be sensitive to cross-wind. I run 34 PSI cold and never had a problem with cross-wind.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Wow, I wish my SGT with tech package got even 35mpg on the highway. My best really is about 34mpg on the highway. My i-eloop doesn't really seem to help a lot.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Your high mileage probably indicates that your tire pressure if far above than the factory recommended setting. If your cold tire pressure is high, your car will be sensitive to cross-wind. I run 34 PSI cold and never had a problem with cross-wind.
Thanks starflyer, I never thought of this. I found it seriously weird that the dealership set my tires at 44psi cold... That was the maximum amount of the tires. I left it as is cause I figured they knew what they were doing, but that means I'm about 30% higher than you... I'll check the door jam when I get back to my car.

Would this have any impact on MPG do you think?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Thanks starflyer, I never thought of this. I found it seriously weird that the dealership set my tires at 44psi cold... That was the maximum amount of the tires. I left it as is cause I figured they knew what they were doing, but that means I'm about 30% higher than you... I'll check the door jam when I get back to my car.

yes it would.
i use to inflate my tires up on my old car to see what kinda mpg i could get.
I inflated to about 41psi, then i avg 47mpg on a 2002 honda civic ex going from San Francisco to Los Angeles with the AC on. it was a glorious day. car was more bouncy and jittery tho with things like crosswinds and road imperfections.

·
Registered
323 Posts
yes it would.
i use to inflate my tires up on my old car to see what kinda mpg i could get.
I inflated to about 41psi, then i avg 47mpg on a 2002 honda civic ex going from San Francisco to Los Angeles with the AC on. it was a glorious day. car was more bouncy and jittery tho with things like crosswinds and road imperfections.
Thanks for the reply - I've been noticing some wobbling with crosswinds, never thought to think of overinflated tires, I could probably drop them down to 40psi to be safe.

·
Registered
40 Posts

With 34 PSI I get 38 MPG on highways. With factory recommended 36 PSI I got 41 MPG. 34 PSI, though lower than factory recommended setting, makes the ride comfortable and the steering less jittery. I have a 2015 i touring sedan.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The cross winds are not really a issue for me, just an observation. I had an 04 MZ3 and a 05 RX8, both were wobbly in the wind.
I run my tires 35-36PSI on my 14. Although, my passenger rear might have a slow leak :frown2:.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts