2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
CANADA, "Officially'" this Recall was not noticed until about 2 days ago for the first time in Canada for Dealers.

However, it has also been stopped..DO NOT CONDUCT REPAIR UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

As I see this if any Dealer is doing the recall then they should Re-READ their website again.
And this happens, they get the notice, techs read it and then it is suspended for whatever reason a day or so later.
They don't look at their Distributor Service website that often, usually Only if there is a problem with a particular car or model in their Service Department.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Our car has the VCM update and my wife's been driving it regularly. No problems so far.
I sure hope your car is fixed after the VCM update, but do remember that the unwarranted braking is intermittent/random. I am sure some owners out there that have yet to have the recall fix done never experienced the issue(myself included.. although I only had the car for 6 weeks). I guess time will tell on your case.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are 3 different types of repair depending on the age of the car, and build date/VIN.
Do you, or anyone else here know, what the new issue is when the original recall has been applied? Does it affect all VINs and all 3 different types of repairs? Is it only Canada? I'm in the USA and I have mine done a week ago. What can I expect?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I just left my dealership and the recall was performed. It was performed successfully and I did not have any issues. One pleasant surpris Is that the speed limit and traffic sign information is now displayed in the head up display

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
So it wasn't my imagination. I don't drive this car very often as it's my wife's. So when I was returning from the dealer I noticed the speed limit on the HUD. I didn't remember seeing it before and my wife wasn't sure.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So it wasn't my imagination. I don't drive this car very often as it's my wife's. So when I was returning from the dealer I noticed the speed limit on the HUD. I didn't remember seeing it before and my wife wasn't sure.
Correct. It wasn’t there before. I even contacted Mazda customer support and was told that it was not there as a design choice. Now it shows up after a software update so it leads me to believe that it was not really a design choice. It seems to me like this car was pushed out the door before it was ready. The software engineers had not completed their work

·
Registered
113 Posts
Called the dealer yesterday and was informed that same situation in Canada: Recall issued, and then stopped (as in ASH8's (DO NOT CONDUCT REPAIR UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.)). Right now they are awaiting the new software/instruction to arrive from Mazda Canada before the software installation can be done.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Called the dealer yesterday and was informed that same situation in Canada: Recall issued, and then stopped (as in ASH8's (DO NOT CONDUCT REPAIR UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.)). Right now they are awaiting the new software/instruction to arrive from Mazda Canada before the software installation again.
I was told the same thing yesterday. They told me that when updating the software it could possibly cause the instrument cluster to go dead. If that is the case they would need a special scan tool for Mazda to reprogram it. Not all dealerships have this tool yet. My dealer informed me that she could go ahead and install the software update and if my
Instrument cluster did in fact go dead I would have to get a loaner vehicle until they could get my instrument cluster reprogrammed.

It’s not so much that the software is not ready it’s just they need to be ready in case something goes wrong during the update process.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was told the same thing yesterday. They told me that when updating the software it could possibly cause the instrument cluster to go dead. If that is the case they would need a special scan tool for Mazda to reprogram it. Not all dealerships have this tool yet. My dealer informed me that she could go ahead and install the software update and if my
Instrument cluster did in fact go dead I would have to get a loaner vehicle until they could get my instrument cluster reprogrammed.

It’s not so much that the software is not ready it’s just they need to be ready in case something goes wrong during the update process.

@Jhannah469 I hope the IC possibly going dead during the SW update is a true (and only) story, and that hopefully means that the software fix for the SBS is actually working once successfully applied. Crossing my fingers and toes.

PS: I traded my Toyota Prius for the M3H because of a brake problem. It was very disappointing to hear and experience my brand new Mazda 3 has an even worse issue with 'brakes'.

·
Registered
175 Posts
@Jhannah469 I hope the IC possibly going dead during the SW update is a true (and only) story, and that hopefully means that the software fix for the SBS is actually working once successfully applied. Crossing my fingers and toes.

PS: I traded my Toyota Prius for the M3H because of a brake problem. It was very disappointing to hear and experience my brand new Mazda 3 has an even worse issue with 'brakes'.
Time will tell. One thing is certain, Mazda is working to correct the issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I think this is exactly what happened to me. Update went wrong and the dealer was not equipped to fix it so someone from Mazda had to come out with special tool to resolve. I don't know but having Mazda corporate office in Irvine nearby might have sped things along for me.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My dealer did tell me that they weren’t very concerned about it going wrong. She said that they’ve been doing the cars on their lot with no problem. She just wanted to make me aware of the possible consequences if it did go wrong. They’re trying to get all the cars that are on the lot done first so they can go ahead and sell them. The scan tools are being sent to the dealers before the official recall begins in February

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just had the recall preformed today in Washington state no issues with bricking. just picked it up now just waiting for the results......

·
Registered
327 Posts
Owners who MUST have a NEW IC (Instrument Cluster) as part of this SBS Recall can now get their NEW Speedo Calibrated with Correct Mileage Number in new Odometer.

This PROCESS takes a Few Days as the NEW IC must be boxed and shipped out to Specmo Enterprises who will do the Odometer Calibration (ONLY), it is then Returned DIRECT to your Dealer and they then re-Install.

As I see it Dealer must install NEW IC First and update with MDARS so all works, Then removes IC to get the Odometer recalibrated to your cars correct mileage number.
If IC is MDARS updated AFTER IC is Mileage Re-Calibrated by Specmo then would be wiped to 0000 by MDARS.

While this Send out of IC process occurs your DEALER should offer you a Courtesy Car for your use.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Latest from my NA Contact email.....
IMO the last caution says a lot to me on possibly why some Recall updates are failing...
Poor Broadband Connection in the Dealership or poor or unstable Wi-Fi connection to PC in
Dealership Service Department.
(Dealers buy yourself a Long decent RJ45 Ethernet patch lead to PC, no Wi-Fi use)

UPDATE JANUARY 10, 2020:
The recall repair procedure is still under review, but will be released to facilitate repairs of certain vehicles.
Please do not contact customers for repairs at this time and do not repair vehicles in inventory.
Repairs should be completed on sold vehicles prior to delivery to customers, and on customer vehicles coming into the dealer.

IMPORTANT:
FOLLOW ALL INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.
READ AND FOLLOW ALL SERVICE CAUTIONS IN REPAIR PROCEDURE.
USE ONLY THE GR-8 BATTERY CHARGER AND REFER TO THE INSTRUCTIONS IN THE REPAIR PROCEDURE SERVICE CAUTIONS.
ENSURE COMPUTER RUNNING MDARS HAS STRONG INTERNET CONNECTION, PREFERABLY USING
DIRECT ETHERNET CONNECTION.

·
Registered
274 Posts
That is correct. 4 times in 24 hours after the recall. I didn't drive it much between the 26th and the 1st. the 2nd/3rd was the first long drive possibly 150 miles total. All at night. I will re-post if it happens again tonight.
UPDATE:

I changed the sensitivity from early to medium and have not had any more warnings in 500 miles or so.

101 - 120 of 160 Posts