2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Rubber side down
256 Posts
<div style="width:100%;height:0;padding-bottom:54%;position:relative;"><iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/116wwYf3ajIvrG" width="100%" height="100%" style="position:absolute" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe></div><p><a href="
">via GIPHY</a></p>

·
Registered
137 Posts
Vehicles with early build dates will need the whole instrument cluster replaced or reprogrammed, as these cars have a different procedure for "temporary manual deactivation of the Smart Braking System."

·
Registered
165 Posts
Vehicles with early build dates will need the whole instrument cluster replaced or reprogrammed, as these cars have a different procedure for "temporary manual deactivation of the Smart Braking System."

Why? Where did you get this info from?

On its face, it doesn't make any sense that the physical instrument cluster would need replacing. This is surely just a (re)programming issue: "Incorrect programming of the SBS control software may cause the vehicle to falsely detect an obstacle in front of the vehicle while driving."

·
Registered
327 Posts
There is a Safety Recall about to be announced by Mazda NAO and I believe will go worldwide for the all new BP MAZDA 3.
FIRST: Do NOT Panic Mazda will Send out Registered Priority letters about the issue, repair and fix.
ONLY for BP Mazda 3 built in Japan and Mexico.

SUBJECT VEHICLES

Mazda3 built at MC (Japan)
JM1 BP**** K1 100042 – 147655
JM1 BP**** L1 147656 – 154264
From September 25, 2018 through October 19, 2019

Mazda3 built at MMVO (Mexico)
3MZ BP**** KM 100048 – 115055
3MZ BP**** LM 115095 – 124858
From January 15, 2019 through October 23, 2019
The asterisk symbol “*” can be any letter or number.

THE PROBLEM...
Certain subject vehicles listed above may unexpectedly stop while driving due to inadvertent activation of the Smart Brake System (SBS) an automatic emergency braking system, increasing the risk of a rear-end crash from and by a following vehicle.

WHY....
Incorrect factory original programming of the SBS control software may cause the vehicle to falsely detect an obstacle in front of the vehicle while driving.
Because of this, the SBS automatic emergency braking system may unexpectedly activate, along with the collision warning sound and warning message displayed on the multi-information and active driving displays, even though no collision is imminent.

In certain cases, the SBS control software may automatically apply the vehicle brakes to prevent or reduce damage from a collision.

THE REPAIR TO CAR...
The software of the Vehicle Control Module (VCM) will be updated, and some vehicles will require an update to the electronic owner’s manual located in the CMU along with several pages of the paper Owner’s Manual will be amended with local updated printed material.

Certain vehicles will also require updating the software of the Instrument Cluster (IC) or replacement of the IC.

THERE ARE 3 TYPES OF MAZDA DEALER REPAIR PROCEDURE...THIS DEPENDS ON YOUR VEHICLE BUILD DATE AND VIN INFO.

TYPE A REPAIR...
SOFTWARE REPROGRAMMING OF VEHICLE CONTROL MODULE, a fast fix of less than 30 minutes.

TYPE B REPAIR....
A REPAIR
above and Instrument cluster (IC) and CMU reprogramming, and Paper Owner’s Manual update), a 45 minute fix.

TYPE C REPAIR....
Instrument cluster (IC) replacement with BDGG-55-430B (2.5L Engine), then type B REPAIR above, a 75 minute fix.

Repairs are at no cost to Mazda 3 Owner.
You will be contacted by Mazda with letter and instructions.

I expect this issue will extend to other Mazda Countries Worldwide

IF you are NOT the Original Owner of your Mazda 3, PLEASE Contact your Local MAZDA DISTRIBUTOR with your New Details (Name and Address) and the cars VIN.

THIS REPAIR DOES NOT APPLY TO ANY OTHER MAZDA'S or MAZDA 3'S (BP) OUTSIDE OF ABOVE VIN NUMBERS or PRODUCTION DATES.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Why? Where did you get this info from?

On its face, it doesn't make any sense that the physical instrument cluster would need replacing. This is surely just a (re)programming issue: "Incorrect programming of the SBS control software may cause the vehicle to falsely detect an obstacle in front of the vehicle while driving."
Yes it does make sense, see my post above has ALL you need to know.
Obviously the Instrument Cluster (IC) must be renewed with a modified new one as it can not be fixed by a reprograme only...
There are 3 types of repairs depending on cars VIN and age, some IC's can get away with reprogramme ONLY with new data and some can not like 2.5l Engine IC units.
Mazda will never tell anyone exactly why...they do not have to disclose this, ask the maker of the IC....it could be as little as a printed circuit board with an error or wrong circuit route to a warning lamp in IC?...or..

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a Safety Recall about to be announced by Mazda NAO and I believe will go worldwide for the all new BP MAZDA 3.
FIRST: Do NOT Panic Mazda will Send out Registered Priority letters about the issue, repair and fix.
ONLY for BP Mazda 3 built in Japan and Mexico.

SUBJECT VEHICLES

Mazda3 built at MC (Japan)
JM1 BP**** K1 100042 – 147655
JM1 BP**** L1 147656 – 154264
From September 25, 2018 through October 19, 2019

Mazda3 built at MMVO (Mexico)
3MZ BP**** KM 100048 – 115055
3MZ BP**** LM 115095 – 124858
From January 15, 2019 through October 23, 2019
The asterisk symbol “*” can be any letter or number.

THE PROBLEM...
Certain subject vehicles listed above may unexpectedly stop while driving due to inadvertent activation of the Smart Brake System (SBS) an automatic emergency braking system, increasing the risk of a rear-end crash from and by a following vehicle.

WHY....
Incorrect factory original programming of the SBS control software may cause the vehicle to falsely detect an obstacle in front of the vehicle while driving.
Because of this, the SBS automatic emergency braking system may unexpectedly activate, along with the collision warning sound and warning message displayed on the multi-information and active driving displays, even though no collision is imminent.

In certain cases, the SBS control software may automatically apply the vehicle brakes to prevent or reduce damage from a collision.

THE REPAIR TO CAR...
The software of the Vehicle Control Module (VCM) will be updated, and some vehicles will require an update to the electronic owner’s manual located in the CMU along with several pages of the paper Owner’s Manual will be amended with local updated printed material.

Certain vehicles will also require updating the software of the Instrument Cluster (IC) or replacement of the IC.

THERE ARE 3 TYPES OF MAZDA DEALER REPAIR PROCEDURE...THIS DEPENDS ON YOUR VEHICLE BUILD DATE AND VIN INFO.

TYPE A REPAIR...
SOFTWARE REPROGRAMMING OF VEHICLE CONTROL MODULE, a fast fix of less than 30 minutes.

TYPE B REPAIR....
A REPAIR
above and Instrument cluster (IC) and CMU reprogramming, and Paper Owner’s Manual update), a 45 minute fix.

TYPE C REPAIR....
Instrument cluster (IC) replacement with BDGG-55-430B (2.5L Engine), then type B REPAIR above, a 75 minute fix.

Repairs are at no cost to Mazda 3 Owner.
You will be contacted by Mazda with letter and instructions.

I expect this issue will extend to other Mazda Countries Worldwide

IF you are NOT the Original Owner of your Mazda 3, PLEASE Contact your Local MAZDA DISTRIBUTOR with your New Details (Name and Address) and the cars VIN.

THIS REPAIR DOES NOT APPLY TO ANY OTHER MAZDA'S or MAZDA 3'S (BP) OUTSIDE OF ABOVE VIN NUMBERS or PRODUCTION DATES.
If you own one of the affected cars, should we disable the SBS functionality? Are we better off with or without it?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yes it does make sense, see my post above has ALL you need to know.
Obviously the Instrument Cluster (IC) must be renewed with a modified new one as it can not be fixed by a reprograme only...
There are 3 types of repairs depending on cars VIN and age, some IC's can get away with reprogramme ONLY with new data and some can not like 2.5l Engine IC units.
Mazda will never tell anyone exactly why...they do not have to disclose this, ask the maker of the IC....it could be as little as a printed circuit board with an error or wrong circuit route to a warning lamp in IC?...or..
Got it; and thanks very much for posting a full account. Hadn't seen that when I posted, but I confess I'm no gearhead, so probably don't really understand anyway!

However, certainly looks like ours will be recalled for this, though we haven't had the issue at all (yet). Update: yes, this new recall now pops up when I check my VIN on Mazda Canada.

Good question from 'Gwan', though: does seem like one might want to turn off the SBS-Front until the recall is done, if that can be done separately, as with the 'lane departure assist'. I like the LD alert, but hate the physical 'assist'.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Got it; and thanks very much for posting a full account. Hadn't seen that when I posted, but I confess I'm no gearhead, so probably don't really understand anyway!

However, certainly looks like ours will be recalled for this, though we haven't had the issue at all (yet). Update: yes, this new recall now pops up when I check my VIN on Mazda Canada.

Good question from 'Gwan', though: does seem like one might want to turn off the SBS-Front until the recall is done, if that can be done separately, as with the 'lane departure assist'. I like the LD alert, but hate the physical 'assist'.
Badger1: I have read on another forum that you canNOT turn off just the SBS, because other safety features depend on SBS (e.g. Front Cross Traffic Alert). If you want to disable SBS , I suspect you will have to hit the i-ACTIVESENSE button and turn off ALL its features. Assuming the sudden unwarranted breaking is 'rare', turning off all the safety features is a little harsh. The problem is, we have no info how often the issue will show up and also does it always hit the brakes full force? So far, I personally have not noticed anything yet (drove only 300 miles in my Mazda 3) ...knock on wood.

·
Super Moderator
5,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Badger1: I have read on another forum that you canNOT turn off just the SBS, because other safety features depend on SBS (e.g. Front Cross Traffic Alert). If you want to disable SBS , I suspect you will have to hit the i-ACTIVESENSE button and turn off ALL its features. Assuming the sudden unwarranted breaking is 'rare', turning off all the safety features is a little harsh. The problem is, we have no info how often the issue will show up and also does it always hit the brakes full force? So far, I personally have not noticed anything yet (drove only 300 miles in my Mazda 3) ...knock on wood.
Yes, turning off the SBS does mean de-activating the i - Active sense but so what? Man has been driving automobiles for 100 years without it. If it worries you, shut it off, otherwise, just leave it on and hope it works....
This braking has happened, do some reading here and you will find a number of accounts of unintended braking. Its full force mostly, and sometimes in the worst possible situation. This problem is being reported quite often apparently, and its enough of a problem that a recall was initiated.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, turning off the SBS does mean de-activating the i - Active sense but so what? Man has been driving automobiles for 100 years without it. If it worries you, shut it off, otherwise, just leave it on and hope it works....
This braking has happened, do some reading here and you will find a number of accounts of unintended braking. Its full force mostly, and sometimes in the worst possible situation. This problem is being reported quite often apparently, and its enough of a problem that a recall was initiated.
GOOD NEWS!!! I opened MyMazda app today (12/21/19) and it notified me about the recall (number 4719L). I made an appointment right away. At least Mazda is quick thanks to the Mazda app we don't have to wait for snail mail.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I got the recall notice in the MyMazda app today. I'm an hour away from the nearest dealer. Major pain in the butt.

·
Registered
113 Posts

When I log on to Mazda Owner site and enter my VIN number, the above is what appeared.

My 2020 never had its brakes applied in SBS in the 3 months of ownership, but will get it done next week. Hopefully it will be a simple case of quick re-program. Will report when done.

Thanks guys, for your quick heads-up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you know on which VIN numbers require IC replacement? I would be happier to know that my VIN doesn't require IC replacement to have the risk of getting squeaking noises after replacement.

An idea of the cost if this breaks down after warranty:

·
Registered
34 Posts
2019 HB Premium here. SBS kicked in while going through a 4 way stop intersection. Car came to screeching halt with no collision imminent. I then changed the setting to ‘late’ and haven’t had an issue with that system since. I wonder if mine requires the IC replacement ?. Will update once I get in touch with dealer.

·
Registered
130 Posts
2019 HB Premium here. SBS kicked in while going through a 4 way stop intersection. Car came to screeching halt with no collision imminent. I then changed the setting to ‘late’ and haven’t had an issue with that system since. I wonder if mine requires the IC replacement ?. Will update once I get in touch with dealer.
I’ve had my sedan since it came out earlier this year and the sudden braking happened only one time. I did the same as you, changed it to “late” and haven’t had problems since. I wonder if this is related to the jerkiness. I notice the car always seems jerky in traffic but never when it’s open clear even when going at slow speeds.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2020 3H FWD which did the same thing at a 4 way stop intersection last week. The light turned green, I went and then all of a sudden I heard warning signals and my dash starting showing BRAKE! and the brakes slammed. It felt like it all happened at the same time, but it was so sudden that I'm not sure. I don't even know if I was even going 20mph yet. I just spoke with the dealership service manager a few minutes ago and he said that it could be two weeks before they get the fix. He didn't mention the possibility of the IC replacement. Of course, I've never had a car with this feature and if I hadn't seen an article about the recall last night I would have continued thinking it was just a one-off issue caused by a dirty sensor or something.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts