2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am new to this site but I have searched through all related forums and could not find anything that was similar to my issue. I have searched online(google) for similar issues but only found an older reference from 2006 on a CX-9 and that didn't lead anywhere. The issue I am having is with the rear-view camera on my 2016 Mazda 3. When I first got my Mazda 3 in Dec 2015 the rear-view camera on my car did not look how it looks now. I have attached a picture of how my rear-view camera looks now for reference. The issue I have is that the camera now shows my bumper and part of my license plate at the bottom and at the top left & right it shows something which I am not sure if it is part of the camera housing or part of my car as well. On top of that it seems like the issue is compounded by the fact that it looks like the camera may have moved within its housing and has the look of it being zoomed in or fish-eyed. This is not the original look of the camera as I have several friends and my roommate who remember what it looks like from before the change and they all agree something has changed. I do not have a picture of how it looked from before the change.

I did recently take my car into the local dealership and had them look at it. They tried to adjust the camera itself but that did not fix the issue. They informed me that they also uninstalled/reinstalled the rear-view camera and that did not resolve the issue either. One of the service reps told me he went and looked at another Mazda 3 they had on their lot and the rear-view camera was the same. I don't believe that for a minute. I did see a video on a website showing the rear-view camera and it shows the exact same thing mine does which I feel is still not right. I am 100% sure something changed on how the camera looks. The dealership told me there is nothing they can do and that I should call Mazda USA Corporate to have them look into the issue.

So any suggestions at this point would be awesome. I have done a full reset from within the rear-view camera options but that did not help.

Thanks again,

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello everyone,
I am new to this site but I have searched through all related forums and could not find anything that was similar to my issue. I have searched online(google) for similar issues but only found an older reference from 2006 on a CX-9 and that didn't lead anywhere. The issue I am having is with the rear-view camera on my 2016 Mazda 3. When I first got my Mazda 3 in Dec 2015 the rear-view camera on my car did not look how it looks now. I have attached a picture of how my rear-view camera looks now for reference. The issue I have is that the camera now shows my bumper and part of my license plate at the bottom and at the top left & right it shows something which I am not sure if it is part of the camera housing or part of my car as well. On top of that it seems like the issue is compounded by the fact that it looks like the camera may have moved within its housing and has the look of it being zoomed in or fish-eyed. This is not the original look of the camera as I have several friends and my roommate who remember what it looks like from before the change and they all agree something has changed. I do not have a picture of how it looked from before the change.

I did recently take my car into the local dealership and had them look at it. They tried to adjust the camera itself but that did not fix the issue. They informed me that they also uninstalled/reinstalled the rear-view camera and that did not resolve the issue either. One of the service reps told me he went and looked at another Mazda 3 they had on their lot and the rear-view camera was the same. I don't believe that for a minute. I did see a video on a website showing the rear-view camera and it shows the exact same thing mine does which I feel is still not right. I am 100% sure something changed on how the camera looks. The dealership told me there is nothing they can do and that I should call Mazda USA Corporate to have them look into the issue.

So any suggestions at this point would be awesome. I have done a full reset from within the rear-view camera options but that did not help.

Thanks again,
while this may or may not be the case with yours, Mine did have a more "medium" format view and not so fish eye as well to the best of my knowledge. When i took my car into my mazda dealer to get serviced they had performed a software update on my OS. one of the new things was that now if a car or object is moving while i am backing up i get a beeping warning and little warning triangles on the screen. when i originally bought my car this WAS NOT provided. i just assumed that i needed to buy the additional back up sensors or something. but in addition to that the camera view changed as well. which was okay with me because at least i can see more now with the fish eye view.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.
You know if I had gone in to the dealership and had my car worked on and after I left these things had changed or updated then I could at least have an explanation but I have no explanation for this. This changed out of nowhere. I got a response back from Mazda USA today and they are going to reach out to the dealership on the issue as well as speak with the warranty people on this issue.
I'm just not a fan of this new look nor the fact that it shows my bumper, license plate, and the parts in the top left/right side. I could be just way too picky on this issue and will have to learn to deal with this new look.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My wife's CRV has the option to display the backup camera view as wide-angle or flat, so my guess is that this behavior is due to software.

Just to be totally clear, have you or the dealership updated your infotainment firmware at any time? What version do you currently have? That could explain the difference, as the software may now be displaying a more wide-angle view, rather than the "flat" or "curve corrected" view that you had before.

Maybe someone here who is familiar with the infotainment firmware can look at previous versions and see if the coding for the backup camera has been changed.

My only other thought is this: can you please take a picture of the camera itself and post it here? Maybe there's a part of the lens or housing that corrects the "fish-eye" view and makes it more "flat" that has come loose or is missing. If you show us what your camera looks like, then we can look at ours and compare.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I looked at my backup view today. It's also wide-view and I can see a little of my bumper and license plate, just like the OP. I've updated my firmware many times in the past 3 years. I don't remember if the view was ever flat/medium or different in any way with previous versions.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
My 2018 has the latest firmware and my backup camera looks the same as the OP. I checked it this morning.
CK

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
My 2018 has the latest firmware and my backup camera looks the same as the OP. I checked it this morning.
CK
My 2017 is the same, that was a "selling feature" the wider angle view so when backing up in a parking lot you will see a car coming or pedestrian much sooner than regular angle. As well when it senses movement that warning triangle flashes and you hear a beep from the system letting you know know something is moving that you may not have seen or noticed yet.

·
Registered
988 Posts
My backup camera looks the same as the OP.

IMHO I think it has always been like that and just "now" you really noticed how the screen looks when not being 100% engaged on reversing...I know that it took me almost 1 year + to notice the corners with the license plate images on the screen, and then I was , "has this always been like this?"

·
Registered
569 Posts
My backup camera looks the same as the OP.

IMHO I think it has always been like that and just "now" you really noticed how the screen looks when not being 100% engaged on reversing...I know that it took me almost 1 year + to notice the corners with the license plate images on the screen, and then I was , "has this always been like this?"
I agree with David. That's exactly how my camera looks on my 2017 3 GT hatch except I removed the warning message with AIO tweaks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was never like this and I'm 100% sure of it. I remember looking at the backup camera with detail when it first changed because I was shocked that it changed and that I could now see the bumper and part of my license plate. My roommate even noticed that it had changed from the view that it was before.
I have looked at the backup camera view on my display screen many times and I distinctly remember it not being like this or in that view.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone,

Thanks again,
The same thing happened to me. Flat screen to fisheye. I just had my front windshield replaced and it happened after I picked it up. I took it back to them and they told me that there was nothing wrong with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts