2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my car about 2 months ago. I thought it would need a rear sway bar but I wanted to make a couple changes before I decided.

I added camber bolts to front and put on 225 width summer street tires (compared to crappy all seasons dealer put on).

After a couple nights of spirited street driving my conclusion is this car does not need a larger rear sway bar.

In the wet I am able to use trail braking to get the rear to slide. In the dry the rear can break loose with at the limit cornering if hitting imperfections in the road mid turn or aggressive steering inputs.

I attribute this to the relative lack of rear grip rear to front, which I like.

Overall my impression is the car could benefit from a higher spring rate, more front camber (the SPC bolts give about -1), and some more rear camber (compared to the stock zero).

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
5,965 Posts
Have you driven a car with a larger rear sway bar? If not you really don't have any basis for this statement. A larger rear bar does make a significant difference as discovered by many who have made the swap.
Of course the rear can come loose if you push it hard on a bumpy or wet road where grip can be severely compromised.
Try it on a road that doesn't have those sort of imperfections, you'll usually end up getting the front loose first. With a larger rear bar, the tendency to understeer, which by the way is designed into most FWD cars for safety reasons (read required by the lawyers), is much reduced.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My experience with this car is in the city and suburb. It might see a track if but once for fun. And I say that being a spirited driver, I'd put myself in the 1% lol

In that usage I am currently not seeing a need for a larger rear bar. Streets here are far from perfect. On a track of course would be different.

In this case I am thinking a lowering spring (stiffer spring) and aftermarket damper would be of more benefit before trying a larger rear bar. Of course, as stated before, this is after already adding stickier tires and mild front camber

My previous daily driver (Honda) I went straight to a fatter rear bar, as it understeered badly, even on wet or bad roads. And it made a world of difference. But it also had double wishbone front end for what it's worth.

And no, I haven't driven the car with a larger rear bar. For my DD I don't want to waste money throwing parts at it. My reason for posting this is to see how others feel. I was ready to buy a rear sway bar and still would if I thought there was a benefit. After adding a little front camber and better tires I don't feel it would be beneficial to add a stiffer rear bar. If someone local could meet with me and show me different I would love it.

·
Registered
899 Posts
The great part is that no body is forcing you to get a bigger one. Its great that you don't think you need one and others might not get one based on your comments.
I personally think it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I personally think bigger rear bars are a huge benefit for most front and all wheel drive cars.

I am surprised i feel different with this vehicle.

That is my reason for posting my experience

And as i said above. Not saying a rear bar is not beneficial, but I'm thinking camber, spribgs and struts would be a better modification before a rear sway bar

·
Registered
215 Posts
Have you driven a car with a larger rear sway bar? If not you really don't have any basis for this statement. A larger rear bar does make a significant difference as discovered by many who have made the swap.
Of course the rear can come loose if you push it hard on a bumpy or wet road where grip can be severely compromised.
Try it on a road that doesn't have those sort of imperfections, you'll usually end up getting the front loose first. With a larger rear bar, the tendency to understeer, which by the way is designed into most FWD cars for safety reasons (read required by the lawyers), is much reduced.

That is the main reason I have a plan for it...understeer...

I already purchased the end links...

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got my car about 2 months ago. I thought it would need a rear sway bar but I wanted to make a couple changes before I decided.

I added camber bolts to front and put on 225 width summer street tires (compared to crappy all seasons dealer put on).

After a couple nights of spirited street driving my conclusion is this car does not need a larger rear sway bar.

In the wet I am able to use trail braking to get the rear to slide. In the dry the rear can break loose with at the limit cornering if hitting imperfections in the road mid turn or aggressive steering inputs.

I attribute this to the relative lack of rear grip rear to front, which I like.

Overall my impression is the car could benefit from a higher spring rate, more front camber (the SPC bolts give about -1), and some more rear camber (compared to the stock zero).

Thoughts?
of course, its opitonal. its not needed to get a rsb because mazda 3 already drives and handles pretty well compared to some other cars or brands, mazda 3 provides great feedback and road feel. also, everyone's "spirited" driving definition can be different.
but of course the BEST way to drive is to be safe :)

Reactions: Siceci

·
Registered
141 Posts
My experience with this car is in the city and suburb. It might see a track if but once for fun. And I say that being a spirited driver, I'd put myself in the 1% lol

In that usage I am currently not seeing a need for a larger rear bar. Streets here are far from perfect. On a track of course would be different.

In this case I am thinking a lowering spring (stiffer spring) and aftermarket damper would be of more benefit before trying a larger rear bar. Of course, as stated before, this is after already adding stickier tires and mild front camber

My previous daily driver (Honda) I went straight to a fatter rear bar, as it understeered badly, even on wet or bad roads. And it made a world of difference. But it also had double wishbone front end for what it's worth.

And no, I haven't driven the car with a larger rear bar. For my DD I don't want to waste money throwing parts at it. My reason for posting this is to see how others feel. I was ready to buy a rear sway bar and still would if I thought there was a benefit. After adding a little front camber and better tires I don't feel it would be beneficial to add a stiffer rear bar. If someone local could meet with me and show me different I would love it.
and yes you are right. always upgrade tires/wheels first and better springs first before a rsb. and if you feel like those upgrades are good enough then no need for rsb, money saved ^0^

Reactions: Siceci

·
Registered
231 Posts
I personally think bigger rear bars are a huge benefit for most front and all wheel drive cars.

I am surprised i feel different with this vehicle.

That is my reason for posting my experience

And as i said above. Not saying a rear bar is not beneficial, but I'm thinking camber, spribgs and struts would be a better modification before a rear sway bar
Agree with you. Do first struts and springs, then suspension alignment and if you are not happy enough with the car handling you can adjust under/over steer with anti-roll bar.
Bars are important, but struts and springs are more important as you are using them all the time, while anti-roll bars do their job only when turning, when driving straight they are just added weight :)

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
If your using terminology like "trail braking" then you are aggressively driving the vehicle, so yes, a rear swaybar is definitely a benefit for you.

Reactions: diyau and Siceci

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a total noob when it comes to these types of upgrades but I do believe I can benefit from a RSB for my Mazda 3 2014 sedans. Can you please suggest a great rsb/bush links/etc that will improve greatly my handling? I heard progress works well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have no data to contribute here, as my car's suspension is stock, and as such of course tends towards obvious understeer.

I do feel the need to point out that the OP of this two year old thread put in camber plates, allowing more negative camber on the front of his car. This has the effect of increasing front grip, so he may very well not need an upgraded rear sway bar.

I had put matched upgraded springs, shocks, and sways (from highly respected Flyin' Miata) along with recommended alignment settings on my NB Miata, and eventually put the rear sway back to stock while leaving the bigger front one. The car oversteered too much, and while internet warriors will tell you that there's no such thing, there is. When you're trying to make decent pace, especially on the street, babysitting the rear end to keep the car from spinning around on you on corner entry doesn't make you faster, be it FWD or RWD.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts