2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an American car, but now I'm in Europe. I need to put in and connect the rear fog light. I bought all the necessary parts and installed it on the car. I need to understand how to connect the wiring, that the whole circuit will work. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
'15 Mazda3
171 Posts
I have never heard of a rear fog light before, but I am good with wiring. What do you want to connect it too, maybe I can help.

I have an American car, but now I'm in Europe. I need to put in and connect the rear fog light. I bought all the necessary parts and installed it on the car. I need to understand how to connect the wiring, that the whole circuit will work. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Couldnt you splice into the front fog light wiring and run a low wattage LED in the rear. Or maybe ask a mazda dealer over there for the harness.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Tieing into the main fog light wiring would turn the rears on the same time as the front... would you not want them seperate? If do get a fog light wiring harness off ebay... comes with toggle switch and all. Plug and play really.

Now my question why rear fogs?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Tieing into the main fog light wiring would turn the rears on the same time as the front... would you not want them seperate? If do get a fog light wiring harness off ebay... comes with toggle switch and all. Plug and play really.

Duh, for when the fog is sneaking up on you.:surprise:

Reactions: aloof11

·
Registered
30 Posts

Duh, for when the fog is sneaking up on you.
Lmfao.. but on a serious note.. Europe requires rear fog lights? Or is it juat for your own sight when backing up? If thata the case go to a cree spot light lol shell light up for sure!! But blind anyone behind you pretty much.

·
*The Electrician*
1,000 Posts
Pretty sure all European vehicles require rear fog lights, its something I've noticed over the years that pretty much everything over there has them which leads me to believe that it's standard practice and won't pass inspection without it. Definitely go talk to a Mazda dealer over there about the process of converting it, they might have some tips/tricks their willing to share with you. And definitely share that info with us too please. While fog isn't my concern, driving in near whiteout conditions is a concern and if it was basically plugNplay Id definitely consider adding that to mine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty sure all European vehicles require rear fog lights, its something I've noticed over the years that pretty much everything over there has them which leads me to believe that it's standard practice and won't pass inspection without it. Definitely go talk to a Mazda dealer over there about the process of converting it, they might have some tips/tricks their willing to share with you. And definitely share that info with us too please. While fog isn't my concern, driving in near whiteout conditions is a concern and if it was basically plugNplay Id definitely consider adding that to mine.
Unfortunately the Mazda dealer can not help me and all the details are not plugNplay.
Perhaps you need to activate the function rear fog light. I dont know and I'm stuck.
I have the rear fog lamp and switch installed, also I found how to connect the wiring, but it does not work

·
Registered
900 Posts
can't you hook it up the same way its been done throughout the 80's, 90's and 00's which would be by hooking it up directly to the battery and running a toggle inside your car.
maybe hook it up to an switched ACC fuse so it turns on with the car vs the toggle.

Also i believe the rear fog is to let the cars behind you see you better as fog in Europe can get pretty bad. In some cars its actually just a different lens in the tail lights.
attached is two pictures from 1988 Rx-7's the one with the split lens is a euro version and the solid lens is the US version.

Attachments

·
*The Electrician*
1,000 Posts
can't you hook it up the same way its been done throughout the 80's, 90's and 00's which would be by hooking it up directly to the battery and running a toggle inside your car.
maybe hook it up to an switched ACC fuse so it turns on with the car vs the toggle.
This would be the "ghetto" version of wiring fog lights, but Ive seen some VERY clean "ghetto" jobs before, stuff that looks identical to factory and you would never know the difference unless told otherwise.

@Werwulf I would say if Mazda Euro won't help, email the Mazda head office in Japan, no joke. Tell them what your trying to do, tell them your nearest local Mazda shop refuses to help and just ask Mazda Japan if they are able to help in any small way. You would be surprised sometimes how much they are willing to help in these situations. Sometimes its providing you a wiring diagram, sometimes its them kicking the local Mazda shop in the ass for not helping and telling them their doing it for free now, no if and's or buts. Either way I think after emailing Mazda Japan you will be in a better position to get these fog lights wired up correctly for safety in Europe.

Reactions: Brassmonkey

·
Registered
900 Posts
also did you just try one dealership? where in Europe, maybe someone here has a good relationship with a near by dealership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also did you just try one dealership? where in Europe, maybe someone here has a good relationship with a near by dealership.

The car is now in Ukraine and here at the Mazda dealers it is difficult to solve non-standard tasks. Tried in the city where the car and in the phone mode in a couple of cities

1 - 12 of 12 Posts