2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

As most of you may know, european specification cars are equipped with rear fog lights for better visibility in fog, heavy rain and snow....honestly something I wish we had here.

Does anybody know of the conversion process surrounding this modification to a Canadian-spec 2014 Mazda3?

This topic may have already been explored, but I haven't found anything on the internet. I sent Corksport a request to make this available, as I think it may become popular if it's easy enough to do.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hmmm, not one answer...

I guess this hasn't been explored yet. Even Corksport hasn't gotten back to me with anything...at all.
I've now enrolled myself into a UK-based Mazda 3 forum to learn more about it. Maybe I can bring some knowledge about a rear fog light to this forum.

...that is, if anyone is interested. :tongue:

Reactions: cjbigcog

·
Registered
141 Posts
The only time I ever used my rear fog light on my Saab was when someone was tailgating me - popped it on because it looked like a brake light - and they'd back off.

I know Volvo's have these, but do they REALLY help visibility? I would think since they're so high up, they would just blur in the fog like the tail lights.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The only time I ever used my rear fog light on my Saab was when someone was tailgating me - popped it on because it looked like a brake light - and they'd back off.

I know Volvo's have these, but do they REALLY help visibility? I would think since they're so high up, they would just blur in the fog like the tail lights.
Yes, they are great in the fog or heavy rain. In Europe we must use them by traffic law in such conditions, it is really a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Isn't it the same to just turn on your tail lights?

It's different than regular tail lights. The rear fog is brighter, I think similar brightness to the brake light. As you can see in this picture, the rear fog is on the driver side and replaces the reverse light in place of a fog light for the hatch.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's different than regular tail lights. The rear fog is brighter, I think similar brightness to the brake light. As you can see in this picture, the rear fog is on the driver side and replaces the reverse light in place of a fog light for the hatch.
The fog light has the same strength as the brake light, both 21 watt if you have a non-led brake light.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fog light has the same strength as the brake light, both 21 watt if you have a non-led brake light.
Sounds like you've taken this apart before! Can you tell me if there is a wiring harness that can be linked between the fog light control module and the rear fog light housing?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Sounds like you've taken this apart before! Can you tell me if there is a wiring harness that can be linked between the fog light control module and the rear fog light housing?
Haven't taken it apart, the bulbs are listed in the owners manual. Sorry, at this point I have no intention to rip the inner trunk lining apart.

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
You can buy and bolt on an external fog light, we had to do this for our old car because of the modifications we made and the rear lights didn't include the fog's. However that wouldn't look as smart. Replacing the rear lights (assuming that's where the fogs are) would be the easier option, but you may have to rewire the ISO adapter plug to get them working.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I would assuming it will involve at mininum, a new turn signal stalk, wiring, and just the rear foglight itself.

I meant to buy these parts when I was in Europe last week but ran out of time. Next time......

·
Registered
111 Posts
hi, any update on the mazda 3 rear foglight? thanks!
I took my Dubai-bought CX5 (Middle-East spec, no rear fog light, JPN VIN) with me when I returned to Europe (rear fog light compulsory). I was hoping everything would be there but simply not connected and I would only need a different stalk with the rear fog light position on it to make it road legal for Netherlands. Mazda Europe couldn't tell whether or not the wiring to the back was present. Dealer found out it wasn't, unfortunately. He had to pull new wiring, could use the same tailgate housing as Europe spec (there was only no bulb fitting there, just a reflector) and fitted a separate switch inside the cabin.

Based on my experience I would assume Mazda has not standardized it's harnesses and is using dedicated ones for each region/spec.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Back in my VW days, I used to be on uk-mkivs because the US VW forums were horrible. I remember rear fogs were often talked about but mostly because rear fogs were the equivalent of driving with your blinker on over there. Yes, they were useful during bad weather but some people would just drive around with them on all the time. If the weather isn't appropriate for rear fog lights, I gathered these things are actually bright enough to be annoying at the very least. Which makes me think rear fogs might run afoul of some US exterior lighting regulations for some states and that might be why we never see them here. Just a thought. I haven't looked very far into it though.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Which makes me think rear fogs might run afoul of some US exterior lighting regulations for some states and that might be why we never see them here.
No, because Volvos commonly have them. We don't see them here on other makes because 1) it costs extra money (extra wire, special switch) and when you're making tens of thousands of the same model of car, it's cheaper to eliminate stuff you don't need, and 2) Americans have no idea what they are and wouldn't use them. Volvos are really big on safety so they leave them in, plus Volvos are pricey so saving a couple dollars on parts isn't that big a deal to them like it would be for a $20k car.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mazda would add the rear fog light only if it is required by local laws. It's mandatory in the UK and in a lot of EU countries. I wish they have them here. What I don't get is that they deleted the fog light indicator on the dash for front fogs which doesn't make any sense.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts