2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently found that my rear driver's side brake caliper is sticking. My TPMS sensor went off while driving home one day, and when I pulled over to check pressure I noticed that rotor was extremely hot (much hotter than the other 3 rotors). Pulled the wheel off to take a look and noticed that the outside brake pad had much more wear than the inside (pic attached). Didn't really notice the heat after that (thought a rock might have gotten caught in there or something), but my local mechanic confirmed that the problem seemed to be a sticking piston when getting it inspected a few days. The car doesn't seem to be pulling in any direction while driving.

I have a few questions that you all might be able to help with:

1. Is there a better caliper that I can replace this caliper with (within a reasonable budget)? I looked at my local auto parts stores (AutoZone and Advance Auto) and neither will even let me put an order in since their vendors don't seem to supply any at the moment. I can buy an OEM replacement (part # B4Y7-26-99ZD, can't post links for my first post) for a bit more than from a local auto shop (double price considering there's no core return), but there isn't any indication of when that would ship either. The rotor was so hot that I could smell rubber when my TPMS went off, and the uneven brake wear has me worried enough that I'd like to swap out the caliper (+ new rotors and pads obviously) ASAP (I drive ~60 miles a day for work). I'd also like to make sure this doesn't happen again and that the calipers are protected for my driving environment (Northeast U.S).

2. Should I replace the passenger-side rear caliper as well? The passenger's side seems fine, but seeing as the driver's side is dying out (and this seems to be a common issue with 2014 Mazda's from looking online), I'm not sure whether I should just replace the other side while I'm at it.

·
Super Moderator
7,336 Posts
Common issue, many of these car do the same thing. Just clean and grease the sliders and it should be fine.
There is also a problem with the parking brake not releasing fully due to corrosion of the actuator shaft causing the caliper to stick. Mazda issued a recall on this and there has been a TSB for the brake caliper issue in place for almost every model year of the 3rd generation Mazda 3.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! I lubricated the slider pins and pad contact points when I was inspecting them, you think that I shouldn't need to replace the caliper then? I haven't had a chance to drive it around much since.

Thanks for the TSB heads up as well, I just purchased the car last year so I'll have to check the maintenance log and see if the recall work was done; I checked my VIN earlier and it said no open recalls.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
3,518 Posts
I just did my brakes and rotors... I got the EBC Green Stuff 2000 pads for the front and OEM pads for the rear. I also got RK series rotors from EBC to better manage heat.. overall..more stopping power that is linear/smooth/force driven stopping power and not jerky or harsh (unless you need it to be for emergency stops).

A few cans of CRC brake cleaner.. brake grease for the guide pins and pad contact points.. regrease pins/contact pts and reclean channels often. Get a scrub brush for the channels after spraying them.. stuff doesn't come off too easily.
CK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.