2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon,

I am in the process of building composite aero/body panels for my 2011 MS3 and would like to get your constructive input/comments. The part that I am currently working on is a rear diffusor….
•Diffusor mounts to rear jack point on the sub-frame and the rear bumper.
•The rear tow hooks need to be removed unless you want to cut an opening and have them protrude through the diffusor face.
•A “custom” exhaust will need to be fabricated. It can be as simple as a dump into the diffusor face (no muffler), to a single muffler out the center portion (as shown). It would be supplied without a cutout.
•The rear bumper will need to be cut. But not the steel channel.
•It is being layed up using primarily fiberglass/epoxy with a foam core and can be skinned with CF or a CF/Kevlar hybrid for cosmetics.
•Attached should be a Solidworks sketch of its current design.​

I am also building tools to manufacture the following: front splitter (90% complete), horizontal side splitters (60% complete), and hood scoop delete (50% complete)(for front mount intercooler configurations), and an adjustable rear wing that looks almost stock (still in design phase).

I recently sold my Lexus ISF in favor of a car that I can “have fun with”. Since acquiring it a few months ago I have installed the HPFP, CS SRI and TIP, Cobb V2 tuner, China made catless DP and cat back exhaust, and a Tripoint RSB. I have taken it to 2 Extremespeed track events at Willow Springs (CA) and am committed to (paid for) 7 more.

Having a background in aerospace composites and manufacturing engineering I thought it only natural to develop some parts for the car. I realize that these are not for everyone as it requires cutting the bumper and an “alternative” exhaust system.
Constructive criticism welcome.

Thank you for your time,

Brett

Attachments

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
and the current race times has him up by .4 seconds
this will change next day out...

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
About time someone did some more hardcore fab here. :yes:

Are you laying these up in your own facilities or contracting out? I've got material coming my way to make a coroplast mold for another rear diffuser concept, if you could help me glass it over that'd be most excellent. :)

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Subbed but why does this have to be down the middle does the current exhaust location not work?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Subbed but why does this have to be down the middle does the current exhaust location not work?

It's probably doesn't need to be moved, but for this design it's it much easier if the exhaust is centers. There is going to have to be a good amount of bumper cutting for this as the mounting surface on the rear subframe is (correct me if I am wrong) just about as low at the stock bumper.
So if you just ran a diffuser from that mount to the bottom of the stock bumper it would be flat, which is not as functional as the design above.
I too have a rear diffuser project, mine is flat and can be used without cutting the bumper.
Hats off to the OP cause his model is awesome and I can't wait to see how it looks.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
964 Posts
No offense but that's hideous.

I personally don't like this look:

sure it might be functional and perfect for a race car but on the street, it just looks silly.

Something more subtle like this...

... looks clean for a street car and actually adds to the visual aspect of the rear.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I think this one is the best

Reactions: RedTape

·
Registered
5,839 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I moved it with the intention of maximizing the amount of air I could put back behind the car. It could have been designed with two off to the sides (maintain symmetry) or one on the side (non-symmetrical).

It does make the exhaust a bit of a pain, and I originally planned of modifying the pan so that the 3" pipe dumped in front of the driver side rear wheel (with no muffler)... As it is with no cats, and the two straight barrel Chinese mufflers, it has a horrible resonance. So I am not sure if that would be too drive-able.

Installing it will require cutting some of the bumper apart, of course. I am almost done with the model of what needs to be cut away. Nothing too permanent

·
Registered
260 Posts
I moved it with the intention of maximizing the amount of air I could put back behind the car. It could have been designed with two off to the sides (maintain symmetry) or one on the side (non-symmetrical).

It does make the exhaust a bit of a pain, and I originally planned of modifying the pan so that the 3" pipe dumped in front of the driver side rear wheel (with no muffler)... As it is with no cats, and the two straight barrel Chinese mufflers, it has a horrible resonance. So I am not sure if that would be too drive-able.

Installing it will require cutting some of the bumper apart, of course. I am almost done with the model of what needs to be cut away. Nothing too permanent
Cutting is always permanent.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts