2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've toyed with the idea. I figured design it with cardboard or cardstock as templates and build it from linoleum floor tiles. I have spare ones in a box. wanted to build a front splitter with them too. Probably make side skirt extensions also.

And then there's the whole aerodynamic changes to consider. I don't own software to calculate all that. Front splitters might alter the air inlets on our engine bay underbelly. I'm on the fence with all that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've toyed with the idea. I figured design it with cardboard or cardstock as templates and build it from linoleum floor tiles. I have spare ones in a box. wanted to build a front splitter with them too. Probably make side skirt extensions also.

And then there's the whole aerodynamic changes to consider. I don't own software to calculate all that. Front splitters might alter the air inlets on our engine bay underbelly. I'm on the fence with all that.
Yeah I figured there would be some changes with the aerodynamics. My car has rarely seen speeds over 50 mph though, so I figure unless you do long commutes on the interstate it wouldnt be to substantial. Road noise would be a whole different story though.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
If you're a skilled fabricator you can do better, this is a hacked Voltex replica.

For actual aero benefit you might want a subframe to support the long flat surfaces.

My car used to see a lot of highway and racing miles, the diffuser quantifiably helps with fuel economy but I'm not sure about rear downforce (big splitter, big wing, too many variables to tell). Hope this helps you generate some ideas -- alternatively, if you want to buy a ready-made solution I'm thinking of selling this one...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're a skilled fabricator you can do better, this is a hacked Voltex replica.

For actual aero benefit you might want a subframe to support the long flat surfaces.

My car used to see a lot of highway and racing miles, the diffuser quantifiably helps with fuel economy but I'm not sure about rear downforce (big splitter, big wing, too many variables to tell). Hope this helps you generate some ideas -- alternatively, if you want to buy a ready-made solution I'm thinking of selling this one...

Your car is amazing! Oddbluesky on Instagram?

·
Registered
779 Posts

GOt an idea for you for astetics. You could use U-channel rubber and mount it on the cut part of your back bumper. Would clean up the rear and match the black vinyl. Depending on the size you can add a bit more height of black or just a small channel to look as a trim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts