2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I purchased my Mazda3 I found it slightly odd that there was no rear center headrest, because, you know, it was 2012. I figured it was just a standard oversight on the 2010+ models. Then while looking through stock interior images today I noticed a Mazda photo showing a center headrest on the rear seat.

So what gives? Did only specific trims come with a center headrest, and if so what were they? Mine's a 2012 S Touring hatch. It isn't exactly the "base" model so it seems a little odd that it would lack such an important safety feature. Also, anyone know if the rear center headrest can be added to the models that didn't come with it? I can't imagine they'd go through the trouble of making different frames based on trim level, so it should be pretty simple to add with a couple OEM parts, right?

I searched through this site and Google and can't seem to find any info on this issue.:001_unsure:

·
Registered
779 Posts
none here. We own two, 2012 GS skyativ sport and sedan. Canadian models.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Too cool for rear safety center headrest....

·
Mazda Service Manager
89 Posts
To be honest, I didn't even know a center head rest was an option on the 3s.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I don't have one. Just the fold down armrest with cup holders. Also behind the center seat there is no carseat latch location. The other two sides have it though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
FWIW,

Mazda 3's in Australia have rear seat centre headrests fitted across the range... My base model (Neo) Hatch has one. "JM0" Vin number, so out of Hiroshima, don't know whether that makes a difference or not.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sure thing Mom...

Photos show headrests sitting flush, centre extended to it's full travel (one click only), and with centre removed. Child seat attachment is hidden behind a small removable panel at the rear of the hatch lock, way back on the inside of the hatch sill.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Wow that is so weird compared to mine. I will post pics of mine tomorrow. Thanks for posting yours!
I've never even noticed these differences till now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
More...

View out of the hatch, location of the centre child seat anchor on the rear sill, and a look at the all-leather set-up on the 2.5 (called "SP25" here).

These head rests seem a lot less intrusive than those you've shown. I don't think a centre rest that size would be practical, considering the already restricted view out of the back of the hatch variant. As for the leather seen in the brochure, maybe this is a pointer toward the style we might see across the range on the Gen 3 car soon?

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah...

As far as the rear view through the centre is concerned, having an 8 x 8 inch headrest in a space that's only 11 inches from seat top to roof would be intrusive. My 5'2" daughter has trouble seeing out the rear as it is with the driver's seat elevated.

FWIW, 2012/13 Speeds here also have the smaller headrests.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm kindof glad I don't have one there on my gen2 hatchback, its already not the best rear view out of the back, my gen1 sedan had better rear visibility. Of course this only matters to people who actually use their rear view mirrors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts