2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just bought a 2014 HB and wanted to powder coat all four calipers but to my suprise the rear ones are made of aluminium? (non magnetic)
the rear pistons are magnetic i assume steel. But the front calipers are steel and the pistons aluminium??
Could some one shed some light why mazda decided to do this setup? it's really weird tbh

Anyone ever did a paintjob on the calipers before, let me know

Thanks

·
Registered
401 Posts
Here's mine brush painting comes out best IMHO, calipers just soak up the paint really well... I did my 2014 and my 2018 when I got it. I posted my caliper painting... I'll find it and post here

·
Registered
401 Posts
Found the may post about painting them... really easy job I've done twice on my 14 then the 18

I just painted my calipers and for the passenger side I disassembled and taped off everything I didn't want painted and sprayed... came out ok and was a major pain to do the work to tape off all the pieces you didn't want painted.

For the drivers side I used a brush... much better result and really easy job. The calipers and carrier absorb paint really well and brushing allows for a better coating that soaked in vs spray. I used VHT caliper spray paint and for drivers just sprayed it into the cap and used brush from there.

I covered the cap with a plastic bag and made small hole to spray the paint into cap without splash/mess on hands.

·
Rubber side down
272 Posts
You can still powder coat aluminum. Powder coating can be done to any metal. Anodizing can only be done to aluminum, not steel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts