2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-

Installed OEM Rear Bumper Guards on my Hatch last month and I noticed that the edges are peeling off. I followed the instructions exactly as written so I don't know. Perhaps I still did something wrong.

How can I fix this without damaging the paint? I want to pull up the sides that are peeling and use a better adhesive tape but am concerned about the paint.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Use a heat gun to warm the adhesive as you peel. You'll probably need to use goo gone to remove the adhesive stuck onto the paint. Was it kind of cool when you stuck them on? If you're not installing them in the summer you should warm the paint surface with a heat gun before applying to ensure a solid seal. I'd do the same when you reapply.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it was warm here. Thanks for the advice. Will a hair dryer work as well? I don't have a heat gun. Nice car tastic!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you take the whole guard off and start fresh or will fixing the part that is peeling off be sufficient? Thanks again...

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
If it is only peeling off in one small area I'd probably just try to re-adhere the corner/side and see if it holds. If it is peeling uniformly from all the edges inwards I'd likely take it all off. If you are only doing a part of it try to find 3M tape that is the same thickness as the original adhesive...if there is a pocket that water might run into due to different levels you might have peeling again pretty quickly.

Would you take the whole guard off and start fresh or will fixing the part that is peeling off be sufficient? Thanks again...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mine just came off recently. Get some rubbing compound/claybar and clean the area beforehand (critical). Wipe down with iso alcohol and apply. I used 3m VHB and it's on there for good.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I put some of the oem rear guards on a month or so ago and noticed it wasn't sticking on like I would like it. so, I just bought some 3M double sided tape and put a few extra strips on. so far so good. it's staying on no problem.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Before sticking any accessory that has double side tape or in fact any kind of adhesive, the area needs to be cleaned with prep sol or rubbing alcohol. Reason being even a small coating of wax or silicone will prevent the adhesive from properly adhering. It is a common mistake to just take whatever out of the package and slap it on.

Pat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did the same before I installed the rear bumper guards. Cleaned the area thoroughly and used the alcohol wipes that were provided with the guards to clean off the area.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts