2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the last few weeks, I started hearing some scraping noise coming from the rear and realized it was time to replace the rear brakes (60k miles).

So I get go get the parts, get home and start working on what I figured would be about an hour job. Little did I know that I would need a piston compressor tool to get the job done. Now, I've done my front before and did didn't need a compressor tool, other than a C clamp.

I had to call my mom to go to the auto parts store and get me the cheap $9 tool. Cheap is right! I could not get it pushed back in with this tool and as a matter of fact, I basically broke the damn thing. But now my mom thinks she's a full-on mechanic because she got me the tool and helped me a little. lol

Anyways, what should have been about an hour job, took two days. I eventually rented the tool from Autozone, which worked like a charm, but I went ahead and bought the compressor tool from Amazon later. I hate to be without a needed tool, even if I only use it one more time and it was only $20.

So, if you near having to do your rear brakes, make sure you get the compressor tool (rent or buy) ahead of time.

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
I broke 2 rear calipers(same corner) on one of my previous cars learning that lesson. Managed to pull it off without the specialty tool in the end. First one the oem one I torn the boot, toast, and the 2nd one I wrecked the bleeder valve. 3rd caliper is a charm right??

Since that incident I have not been willing to touch brakes anymore. Now with an electronic parking brake Im even more terrified to touch it, even tempting letting the dealership do that job.......some days I really hate myself?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yep, I learned the hard way too. Didn't want to rent or buy the tool, so I used a set of long needle nosed pliers. I got it done, but what a PITA!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I learned the hard way too. Didn't want to rent or buy the tool, so I used a set of long needle nosed pliers. I got it done, but what a PITA!
I tried some needle nose pliers, but it wouldn't turn in.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was surprised there wasn't a sticky for it, at least to warn us do-it-yourselfers about needing the compressor tool.

I know we don't have to do our rears as often as the front though.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don’t people google stuff before attempting something? ?? first time I did my rear brakes I bought that lil square tool. It worked but wasn’t intended for Mazda’s ?
After using the caliper tool, never again will I do brakes without it! Saves time & frustration!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So, the last few weeks, I started hearing some scraping noise coming from the rear and realized it was time to replace the rear brakes (60k miles).

So I get go get the parts, get home and start working on what I figured would be about an hour job. Little did I know that I would need a piston compressor tool to get the job done. Now, I've done my front before and did didn't need a compressor tool, other than a C clamp.

I had to call my mom to go to the auto parts store and get me the cheap $9 tool. Cheap is right! I could not get it pushed back in with this tool and as a matter of fact, I basically broke the damn thing. But now my mom thinks she's a full-on mechanic because she got me the tool and helped me a little. lol

Anyways, what should have been about an hour job, took two days. I eventually rented the tool from Autozone, which worked like a charm, but I went ahead and bought the compressor tool from Amazon later. I hate to be without a needed tool, even if I only use it one more time and it was only $20.

So, if you near having to do your rear brakes, make sure you get the compressor tool (rent or buy) ahead of time.
Which compressor tool did you buy?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 13 of 13 Posts