2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this is the right are for this. But i need some help.

I am trying to replace the rear brake pads and the caliper piston will not retract. I have the correct tools, turning the piston clockwise, e-brake is off, bleeder valve is open, and it will not retract, just turns and does nothing. Is there something im missing here?

the car is a 2015 Mazda 3 s-Touring

·
Working Class Hero
3,736 Posts
I haven't done rears on this generation of car, but are the rear pistons even threaded? Perhaps just try a c clamp and see if that works.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I haven't done rears on this generation of car, but are the rear pistons even threaded? Perhaps just try a c clamp and see if that works.

Yes the rear pistons are indeed threaded. It's a fine thread, it takes quite a few turns. You'll have to stop and free up the piston boot as you go, it tends to get wound up with the piston.

Keep trying, it'll catch and start moving.....slowly. you don't need to have the bleeder open but couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I would use c clamp too.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Turn, align and push.
Read the directions:

Wanted to say thanks. I do have the service manual but didn't find it clear here. I found that I had to turn the pistons 6 or 8 times before the screw pusher would work, but was much easier.

Laugh if you want, I've never worked with these type of calipers until I got this car :p

I was doing my twice yearly brake inspection/cleaning/lube to find that the rear brakes went form loads of life to completely obliterated since the spring. Strange thing is I've been driving the car far less!

Calipers seemed fine as was springs and cable, not sure what happened. Pads were nearly bare metal and the rotors were trashed.

Guess this is what people complain about. Front brakes are still in wonderful shape.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have to turn it, a lot...
Didn't require any pressure when I did it, so just turning it should do.

I would turn it 1-2 times, then back 0.5 times to fix the boot. Quite an annoying process to be honest!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts