2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had some new tires fitted at the dealer, and during their safety inspection, they noted that the rear brake pads were down to about 1.5mm while the fronts were still nice and healthy with around 6mm on the pads. They suggested I replace the rotors as well as change the pads.

Is this normal for the rear pads to wear that quickly? I don't ride my brakes and the brake pads on all of the previous cars i've owned have never even begun to wear below the 4mm mark until around the 40k-50k mile mark.

Obviously I'm ordering new pads for the rears, but is it necessary to change the rotors as well this soon?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Depends on the condition of the rotors. What you have to watch for is the thickness and if the surface is even.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm gonna take it to an independent tech to get their opinion on it, seeing as the dealer wants an estimated $500 to replace the rear brakes and pads. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
There is a TSB for sticky brake calipers. There has been for years. Its a known issue. Make the dealer fix it for you.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Known issue. I had my rear pads, rotors and calliper bracket changed under warranty recently. Search for the TSB on this site.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Depends on the condition of the rotors. What you have to watch for is the thickness and...
Regarding rotor thickness, the minimum allowable thickness is stamped on the edge of each rotor.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thank you! I'm gonna bring this to the dealer's attention.
The pessimist in me thinks they have seen the issue on other vehicles in past, and are well aware of the problem/ recall already. They didn't do the right thing and tell you/ offer a free repair. The optimist in me thinks it was an oversight, and you will be getting a warranty repair for new brakes soon!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'd ask them if the wear is the inside or the outside pad... there's a recall out for the Parking Hand Brake causing drag and were. If it's the outside pad could be the brake...

I just replaced my brakes and every pad on the car had 40-50% life left expect the drivers side outside pad was toast. As soon as I saw the wear I stopped using my parking brake expect if need cause def not normal and now there's a recall ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts