2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey All,

A few days ago I noticed a very distinct noise coming from the rear of my 2014 iSport with only 22,000 miles. It did not sound like typical brake or suspension noise, more like a beeping or pinging. I had time at work one morning to get the car up and I was able to replicate the noise by spinning the right rear tire.. Got the tire off.. Same noise when spinning the wheel hub. Made sure nothing was hitting the dust shield and determined it to be brake related.. Didn't have time nor did I want to get into taking the brakes apart at that moment..

Well today I revisited, got the wheel and caliper off and noticed the brake pad on the caliper side was wayyyyy more worn down than the other. In fact, it seems like it's almost down to the wear indicator (not sure, it's close) which may be making the noise.

After reassembling and test driving the noise went away, but I have a feeling once everything settles back in, the noise will come back.

I plan on visiting the dealer as soon as I have the time. In the meantime, any thoughts? Caliper issue? Attached some photos.

Thanks everyone.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,975 Posts
Something is hanging up causing one side of the brakes to drag. Pull the caliper off. Clean and grease the sliders. Make sure the pistons are moving freely.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Something is hanging up causing one side of the brakes to drag. Pull the caliper off. Clean and grease the sliders. Make sure the pistons are moving freely.
Pulled the caliper off. The slide pins were free and "mushy" so I did not pull them out. (I would hope that the lube from the factory would last 20k). I did not have the proper caliper tool for the rear piston to compress & check it's movement. If the pistons are seized that essentially means the caliper needs replacement, correct?

Rusted shim. This is covered by a TSB, the dealer should replace the shims, pads and rotors if required.
Thanks! I'll look for this TSB. Do you happen to have the #?

The brakes are no longer making noise for now. Do you think I should show the dealer the photos of these brake pads? They clearly indicate a problem. Not used to having a car under warranty so not sure if I'm "allowed" to be messing around down there. I'm worried that they'll try not to pay for the brakes and rotors regardless of whether or not the caliper is faulty or if there is an issue with the shims.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pulled the caliper off. The slide pins were free and "mushy" so I did not pull them out. (I would hope that the lube from the factory would last 20k). I did not have the proper caliper tool for the rear piston to compress & check it's movement. If the pistons are seized that essentially means the caliper needs replacement, correct?

Thanks! I'll look for this TSB. Do you happen to have the #?

The brakes are no longer making noise for now. Do you think I should show the dealer the photos of these brake pads? They clearly indicate a problem. Not used to having a car under warranty so not sure if I'm "allowed" to be messing around down there. I'm worried that they'll try not to pay for the brakes and rotors regardless of whether or not the caliper is faulty or if there is an issue with the shims.
Linked here http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=150002&d=1456886919

As long as you can show the brakes were serviced, you are covered under the warranty. A statement/log showing you completed the work is sufficient.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for your help. I had time to visit the dealer today and they covered the repair and replacement of pads (both sides) under the TSB/warranty. I was told the rotors were still within spec and it would not be replaced as part of the TSB.

I also knocked out the 8915k recall where the engine performs poorly in cold weather.

One thing I didn't like is being told my stock Yoko's with 22k are already down to 3/32 tread depth and in need of replacing. Time to start shopping around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts