2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the reasons I bought my '13 Sky MZ3 is that Mazda has started to develop a reputation for getting better MPG than the EPA estimates. Other car manufacturers...not so much. In fact Hyundai/Kia just got slapped big time for conning the EPA (and more importantly the car buying public) with bogus MPG data. Check out the story here:

Hyundai, Kia settle with feds for falsifying fuel-efficiency data | WashingtonExaminer.com

I am getting about 38 MPG on average which is what the peak highway EPA estimate is for my ride and I am thrilled about it. Hyundai/Kia has sold a ton of cars over the last couple years and I wonder how many of those new owners feel like they got screwed every time they fill up.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've been pretty happy with mine as well. I've been getting around 36-38 mpg in summer, and starting to dip now as it gets cold to probably 33-35 mpg.

My best on about a 250 mile trip in low traffic, lots of construction zones (so speeds around 55-60 mph) was 45 mpg! That's quite hard to beat without diesel and/or hybrid status :001_cool 1:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been averaging around 36mpg with mixed driving. I've had several road trips where I kept my speed around 65mph and I got around 45mpg.

·
Registered
79 Posts
gas mileage is amazing in our cars. it's great how they have such a balanced car for this price range. many cars with around this kind of MPG is sluggish as hell, no where near fun to drive. i'm happy to have a fuel saving car that can get up and go still, and does well with upgrades and aftermarket stuff without looking tacky.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I get on average 38 mpg driving to work and in to town (depends on how many lights I catch). I have seen as high as 45 when doing 68 mph for a 30 mile stretch of highway getting to the interstate, but ounce I started running 78 - 79 mph it droped down in to the 35 - 36 mpg bracket depending on hills I encountered. So I would say the EPA rating were pretty good, it also depends on how you drive it and weather conditions to.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am just really impressed with how much better our MPG often is vs the EPA estimates. Mazda engineers really changed the game with the SkyActiv makeover. Instead of trying to game the system and get a MPG marketing win on the window sticker they really delivered superior efficiency. Seems the competition has to fudge a bit to keep up.

·
ch ch ch chia
504 Posts
They should investigate fuel claims for the ford as well. I find it extremely hard to beleive that an f150 even with ecoboost get over 30mpg combined. I can't stand their f$#!ing claims. I respect mazda for being accurate, my 2.5 non skyavtive only gets like 25 mpg lol, just as advertised.

·
Common Sense
182 Posts
I concur. I've been very pleased with my MPG. I've been averaging 38 MPG combined city/hwy, depending on the number of lights I hit. I'm relatively sure that I can get 44 on the highway at 65 MPH if I could keep that speed without traffic.

My only regret is not waiting for the 2014 model, so that I could get the i-sport with the skyactiv engine.

On another note, I helped a lady friend buy a 2015 I-touring (same as my 2013) and the improvements that they made are significant. I wish I had waited.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe the EPA mpg figures are provided by the manufacturer and only spot checked by EPA. Some manufacturers are not telling the truth.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I've averaged a consistent 36-38 mpg average (calculated at the pump on fill ups) for the first 60k miles or so, but I've noticed the mileage has gone down a mpg or two in the past 10k miles. Maybe my plugs are getting worn out or something. I usually see a small decrease when I put my summer wheels on (FD RX7 16x8 wi5h a 225 wide tire) and a bit better with the winter set up (16x6? MX5 wheels with Michelin Xice 3 low rolling resistance snows). We'll see next month.

Overall, I'm very happy with mileage the car gets. Just wish I waited for the new 6 in 2013, because I want a quieter interior and more comfortable seats.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've averaged a consistent 36-38 mpg average (calculated at the pump on fill ups) for the first 60k miles or so, but I've noticed the mileage has gone down a mpg or two in the past 10k miles. Maybe my plugs are getting worn out or something. I usually see a small decrease when I put my summer wheels on (FD RX7 16x8 wi5h a 225 wide tire) and a bit better with the winter set up (16x6? MX5 wheels with Michelin Xice 3 low rolling resistance snows). We'll see next month.

Overall, I'm very happy with mileage the car gets. Just wish I waited for the new 6 in 2013, because I want a quieter interior and more comfortable seats.
I think mazda recommends replacing the plugs somewhere between 60-75k depending on conditions (feeling too lazy to look right now). My guess you'll get that mileage back up when you swap in some new ones.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm averaging between 25 and 26 MPG with a mix of freeway and street driving so let's just say I'm not impressed
2013 2.0L Automatic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts