2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I unfortunately wrecked my 2015 Grand Touring with the 2.0 liter engine. I was very happy with the MPG I was getting in it. I know it's a bad time to buy but I'm kind of in a bind so I guess I'll just have to take the financial hit. I managed to find another one that seems exactly like mine (2015 Grand Touring, 2.0L engine) but the dealer is kind of sketchy (they're about 7 hours away from where I live, the salesman calls me every day but acts annoyed when I ask questions and don't make any hard agreement to buy over the phone, he won't budge on the price, and it also has no documented oil change since 2018 on its carfax but has only been driven 3k miles since then with a total of 20k or so). I found a 2018 Grand Touring that will cost about $3k more from a seemingly more reputable dealer but the 2.5 engine is making me hesitant. I've been looking around threads on here and on Reddit and found some people who report what I'd consider pretty close mpg to the 2.0 in their 2.5. If I baby it could I manage to get 35+? I'm generally pretty good at driving in a way that saves gas. What are your experiences? If I'm really concerned about MPG, should I get the 2015 and hope for the best?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2.5 (2021) and honestly I average about 25-26mpg "total". I do mostly shorter driving with the occasional highway driving about 3 times a week (to daycare). I have the AWD though and use premium gas FWIW. I don't baby it exactly but wouldn't say I have a lead foot either. I think IF you are getting the AWD you shouldn't expect much more than 26-27 tops if you are babying it.

Edit: I realized this was in the wrong forum. Apologies.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2.5 (2021) and honestly I average about 25-26mpg "total". I do mostly shorter driving with the occasional highway driving about 3 times a week (to daycare). I have the AWD though and use premium gas FWIW. I don't baby it exactly but wouldn't say I have a lead foot either. I think IF you are getting the AWD you shouldn't expect much more than 26-27 tops if you are babying it.

Edit: I realized this was in the wrong forum. Apologies.
I wasn't considering the AWD, but that's also good to know. AWD seems like a good option to have.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's been great for me. Last year we had a pretty bad snow here in Kentucky AND my garage is on a steep incline and my mazda had no problem actually getting up to the garage when the driveway was covered in snow.

I forgot to also mention my 2.5 is a turbo, not the NA one. (So I imagine the 2.5 NA probably gets better gas mileage)

·
Registered
2018 3 GT Hatchback,6 Speed MT
358 Posts
That dealer sounds annoying AF and I wouldn't mess with any dealership that applies pressure like that, and with no service history it sounds like they're trying to get off it quick and there could be issues with it.
The fact that he wont budge on the price also shows he doesnt care about working with you to make sure you walk away happy, F that place, cop that 2018 GT or keep looking for a different 2.0.

I have the 2018 GT and I avg 28 city, 29 ish Highway, I met a guy when I was on vacation that avg'd 35/38 in his 2015 2.0L, it's safe to say i'll NEVER see that kind or MPG's in my 2.5L but 28 city is pretty good in my opinion, considering the last few cars i've had get 22/25 at best.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
That dealer sounds annoying AF and I wouldn't mess with any dealership that applies pressure like that, and with no service history it sounds like they're trying to get off it quick and there could be issues with it.
The fact that he wont budge on the price also shows he doesnt care about working with you to make sure you walk away happy, F that place, cop that 2018 GT or keep looking for a different 2.0.

I have the 2018 GT and I avg 28 city, 29 ish Highway, I met a guy when I was on vacation that avg'd 35/38 in his 2015 2.0L, it's safe to say i'll NEVER see that kind or MPG's in my 2.5L but 28 city is pretty good in my opinion, considering the last few cars i've had get 22/25 at best.
don't feel bad, that's some pretty unusual FE numbers. i can get that out of my 2.0L but i'd have to granny drive it and we'd be talking highway driving. i usually drive about 20 km/h over the limit, so we're talking around 120 km/h. little less than 80 mph i think? either way, my average FE is around 7L/100km or about 33 mpg.

·
Registered
358 Posts
don't feel bad, that's some pretty unusual FE numbers. i can get that out of my 2.0L but i'd have to granny drive it and we'd be talking highway driving. i usually drive about 20 km/h over the limit, so we're talking around 120 km/h. little less than 80 mph i think? either way, my average FE is around 7L/100km or about 33 mpg.
Thats still pretty good, Im not mad the the FE im getting, but i wouldn't mind more haha

·
Registered
358 Posts
yeah i can't complain. but where you'd like more FE, i'd like a little more power lol. just don't want to put the money into it. i get significantly less city driving but as mentioned i'm probably 90% highway.
yea the 2.5l isn't a lot but more than the 2.0, i would like a little more power too but ive never been a "power queen" so i dont care about it that much

·
Registered
851 Posts
If you're willing to be disciplined on speed control, the 2.0L can provide exceptional mileage. With my '15 automatic, I drive mostly on 55mph highways but some on up-to-75mph Interstates and achieve about 44mpg overall. In town, it's in the 30s if the traffic isn't terrible, but can get into the 20s in heavy stop-and-go. A heavy foot will cost 10mpg or more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Might as well keep this thread going... I just purchased my 2017 Touring 2.5 with manual trans and I got 37 mpg on the hwy going 75-80mph. Around town and a little hwy use I am getting low 33mpg. I am the type to coast down to a stop instead of rowing through all gears, I rarely rev past 3200 rpm and am a pretty smooth shifter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I this has made to decide to stick to getting a 2.0l like I had. I test drove the 2018 2.5l today and while I can understand the appeal, At least when it comes to my own preference, I don't think the extra performance was impressive enough to justify the higher gas consumption. Too bad that limits me to fewer models to look into. The search continues....

·
Registered
2021 Mazda 3
9 Posts
I now have a 2021 M3 2.5. I had a 2016 M3 2.0 (which was totaled). As much as I like all of the new bells and whistles on the 2021, I sure do miss the gas mileage of the 2.0. The most I ever got out of the 2.0 was 48mpg. The most I have gotten out of the 2.5 so far 41mpg. These are not the averages.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I now have a 2021 M3 2.5. I had a 2016 M3 2.0 (which was totaled). As much as I like all of the new bells and whistles on the 2021, I sure do miss the gas mileage of the 2.0. The most I ever got out of the 2.0 was 48mpg. The most I have gotten out of the 2.5 so far 41mpg. These are not the averages.
Yeah, this is what I fear about buying one of the newer models. I test drove one and wasn't pleased enough with the performance of the 2.5 engine to warrant the decreased MPG. I'm in a similar situation to you as my 2015 got totaled. Fortunately I have a spare vehicle and should be able to wait for what I want to come along but it would be nice to be able to buy another 2.0 hatchback Grand Touring from Mazda instead of wading through the used market.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts