• 43+ Highway MPG

Votes: 66 11.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 526 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What are people getting on the highway with their new Mazda3's?

The EPA listed it around 40/41 MPG highway but what are the real world results?

If you want to list whether it's a hatchback or sedan, auto or manual trans, please make a thread post and state the specs.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Oh shit, accidental troll, I didn't see that this was the '14 section. :death: Sorry!

If you believe the onboard computer, I got a solid hwy 40mpg on a test drive.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hb skyactiv 2013 auto

Depends on how hard u have to push the gas pedal due to speed or wind resistance.
I'm getting around 30mpg on freeway. That's driving with the flow of traffic.. Which is like 65-70mph

If I drive 55 straight and really cautious about saving gas I can get 40mpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
718 Posts
Fuel source?

I'm about to start a new thread on this and I really believe there is a difference in the fuel in different parts of the country. So, where are you located where you buy your gas?

·
Registered
13 Posts
With nearly 800 miles on the car, my overall average is 35 mpg. My drives are about 80-90% highway, and I see stretches where I average over 38. One drive of about 40 miles at speed limit mix of 60 and 70, I hit 40 mpg for the trip.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I didn't want to complicate the poll, just keep it at MPG highway. Of course there are so many variables like driver habits, tire pressure, grades, manual or auto, A/C off or on, etc.

My 2008 Mazda3 (auto 2.3L) gets 32-35mpg highway. I am surprised to see the 2014 Mazda3 is not getting more 40mpg+. If people are getting <32mpg highway, that is not that great to hear. Especially since I can get 32-35mpg with the older model non-Sky Active 2.3L engine.

I sometimes wonder if these MPG ratings are over blown and a way of getting people to buy new cars when in reality the mpg is much lower in real world results. I was figuring these cars should be getting 42mpg+, not 32mpg.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I didn't want to complicate the poll, just keep it at MPG highway. Of course there are so many variables like driver habits, tire pressure, grades, manual or auto, A/C off or on, etc.

My 2008 Mazda3 (auto 2.3L) gets 32-35mpg highway. I am surprised to see the 2014 Mazda3 is not getting more 40mpg+. If people are getting <32mpg highway, that is not that great to hear. Especially since I can get 32-35mpg with the older model non-Sky Active 2.3L engine.

I sometimes wonder if these MPG ratings are over blown and a way of getting people to buy new cars when in reality the mpg is much lower in real world results. I was figuring these cars should be getting 42mpg+, not 32mpg.
If you are getting 32-35 highway with an 08 2.3 your dam lucky. We had an 08 2.3 and the best we ever saw was 31. Usually always 30 highway.
And yes some companies do I over rate the cars. Hyundai and Kia come to mind. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
172 Posts

I feel these are mostly driver reasons that people are getting lower mpg. I easily can get 39-42 mpg of pure highway driving with my 2012 sky 2.0 MTX. It would be strange to me if the gas mileage went down as the rating for it went up in both city and highway driving, so I think 42+ is doable for sure. Just mostly on flat highways with cruise set at 65-70.

I'd almost argue that most of the people commenting with '14s this early are pure enthusiasts who wanted the car immediately (and many also opting for the bigger 2.5L). They also probably tend to drive harder than the average commuter, thus the lower gas mileage.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I feel these are mostly driver reasons that people are getting lower mpg. I easily can get 39-42 mpg of pure highway driving with my 2012 sky 2.0 MTX. It would be strange to me if the gas mileage went down as the rating for it went up in both city and highway driving, so I think 42+ is doable for sure. Just mostly on flat highways with cruise set at 65-70.

I'd almost argue that most of the people commenting with '14s this early are pure enthusiasts who wanted the car immediately (and many also opting for the bigger 2.5L). They also probably tend to drive harder than the average commuter, thus the lower gas mileage.
I do tend to drive enthusiastically. :) I am on my first tank of gas thought so I really have no idea what I am even getting with mixed driving much less highway driving only.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Two other things to consider, it usually takes at least 10000 miles to start breaking in a engine and you'll get another mpg or two after that. also we are on winter grade gas now, my Subaru legacy was getting 29 mpg, now it's down to 26 and that's even with a fresh oil change. So if people are seeing 36 right now, they will see 40 for sure.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
I don't drive 100% highway so no possible way for me to say lol I do drive highway 60% of the time but it's only 8-9 miles, maybe 20 miles most one way. The past 3 fill ups I am getting the same 29.5 mpg. I think if I do all highway, say a long road trip, I would get upper 30's. Also I think after the break in period it should get better mileage.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well I did my first refill today and was very surprised at the results. I averaged 21.04 mpg for my first tank of gas. There are several factors that might have contributed to this. I don't know if the tank was completely full from the dealer. I also spent a lot of time idling while learning the car.

I am going on a cruise with a local Mazda club in the morning and expect some spirited driving so I doubt my next fill up will be any better. After that, I'll be very curious to see what I am getting. In my 2012 3 with a 2.0 sky, I averaged about 29 mpg with mixed driving. I was hoping I would be close to that with this car. Time will tell.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
Whew that's speed mileage right there. Did you put more in it after the pump clicked off. Dealers just fill it till not clicks and that's it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Whew that's speed mileage right there. Did you put more in it after the pump clicked off. Dealers just fill it till not clicks and that's it.
I always go to the first time it clicks off unless I think there was a problem. After all, there are stickers all over the pump that say "Don't top off". :)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mileage Update:

After going on a cruise with the local Mazda club and some VERY spirited driving including a brief stint into triple digits, I averaged 23.9 mpg. This is much more like what I was expecting considering the driving style today. With normal driving, I am hoping to be in the 29 mpg range like I was with my last car. I'll update as I go.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am somewhat surprised that nobody is getting above 40MPG highway. Maybe this will change with more drivers and as time goes on but still somewhat surprised about the results.

1 - 20 of 526 Posts