2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am between the Sparco Tarmac 17's and the Motegi MR118 18's.

Specs:

Sparco Tarmacs - $907 for the set
Pic: http://www.tirerack.com/images/wheels/sparco/swap/sparco_tarmac_gm_ci3_l.jpg
Size: 17x7
Offset: 45mm
Backspacing: 5.75"
Weight: 18.85lbs.

Tire: Ecsta PA31 215/50-17
Tire Weight: 24lbs.

Motegi MR118 - $986 for the set
Pic:http://bit.ly/1dOrWi6
Size: 18x8
Offset: 45mm
Backspacing: 6.3"
Weight: 24.6lbs.

Tire: Ecsta PA31 215/45-18
Tire Weight: 21lbs.

Both of these, by my calculations, should fit my Liquid Silver 2014 Mazda3 iGT nicely. What does M3R think? Will the 3lb weight different be noticeable? Will the 215's be stretched a bit on the 8" wheels?

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
First link isn't the wheel, just the site index.

Second link doesn't look too bad

18's will always look better than 17's on a car of the size of the 3 imo.

·
Registered
371 Posts
First link isn't the wheel, just the site index.

Second link doesn't look too bad

18's will always look better than 17's on a car of the size of the 3 imo.
+1

Looking to buy some rims soon to put the all seasons on and use the oe rims for winter tires.

·
... Is Watching.
384 Posts
I prefer the sparco's design, if you could get them in 18's that would be cool.

However, if it was me, I'd go for Momo Strike 2's 18x8.5 in black

The silver edges/black inserts just seem to set them off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input everyone. I placed my order for the Sparco 17's as I didn't want to give up some ride quality and with terrible MN potholes from the winter, I didn't want to risk the shorter sidewalls. I'll post up some pics once they are on.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone. I placed my order for the Sparco 17's as I didn't want to give up some ride quality and with terrible MN potholes from the winter, I didn't want to risk the shorter sidewalls. I'll post up some pics once they are on.
Looking at the pics again.. kinda like the 1st one now. The 2nd seems a bit too crowded, which is the best way I could describe it.

Can't wait to see.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Guess i am too late, but here's a video of similar wheels...

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Too bad the resolution is sh*t.

I can't decide between the 2 designs. Probably the 2nd one. Somehow I feel for this car design, it's a bit difficult to find the right wheel, which is why I'm leaning towards getting OEM wheels even though they'd be heavier.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Going to 18 inchers can have a lot of issues if the roads are less than perfect. Damaged tires, bent rims just to name two. Last summer I got into a very good conversation with a local rim repair shop that does a very brisk business repairing bent or damaged rims due to curbs, potholes and any other
Incident that requires rim work. He is only one of two in BC that is government approved to do the work. He said that part of the problem with thin rubber is that most users do not jack up the pressure another 5 lbs over stock pressure to take the pothole bang. Also makes for a very hard ride and more pounding into you cars suspension.

I was in getting my Miata's rims bead blasted and repainted and checked for being true.

But then your ride..........and.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SPARCOS are sweet, had them on my subie.
A subie is what I came from. I love my new Mazda3, but I might miss it a bit come Winter in MN. I'm glad I bought it now, and not in Fall, or I might of had some buyer's remorse.

Good news, Tire Rack is awesome, and the wheels/tires should be here tomorrow, just in time for me to put them on this weekend. Original estimate was next Tuesday. :thumbup 1:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts