2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I have got Mazda 3 sedan bought in Europe (in Poland).
It is equipped with RVM (Rear Vehicle Monitoring) system which unfortunately does not have activated RCTA (Rear Cross Traffic Alert) system.
As far as I know in United States system RVM is called BSM (Blind Spot Monitor) and it does the same thing what RVM does, but it has RCTA function activated.
In many sources I have read that RCTA uses the same sensors which BSM uses.

And my question is if you know are there any technical differences between RVM and BSM (with RCTA)? I wonder if it could be possible to activate RCTA in my RVM equipped Mazda - if it is the software or the hardware case?

Thank you for responses :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am following the same path as you trying to activate that feature. In a week I will have access to as built configuration of a Cx5 with RCTA activated.

As BSM Module has only a few bites that can be configured I will try to figure out which one does the magic.

I will keep you updated with my findings.

Enviado desde mi RedRice

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am following the same path as you trying to activate that feature. In a week I will have access to as built configuration of a Cx5 with RCTA activated.

As BSM Module has only a few bites that can be configured I will try to figure out which one does the magic.

I will keep you updated with my findings.

Enviado desde mi RedRice
I am interested in this for my Mazda 3. I hope and waiting in your progress.

:thumbup 1:

·
Registered
103 Posts
The news are that RVM module as built data seem not to be related with RCTA configuration. They have to be hidden somewhere, maybe in RBCM module.

I downloaded RVM module as built data from Mazda 6 with RCTA and is equal to mine without that feature.

If I gain access to my neighbour Mazda CX5 with RCTA I will try to download all modules with and without RCTA activated an see where are the differences.

Enviado desde mi RedRice

·
Registered
178 Posts
From my understanding, the RVM system is one radar unit mounted center rear. It acts like the front radar unit for cruise control and just measures objects and its relative angle to them.
From mazda's page:
"The Rear Vehicle Monitoring System (RVM) uses a rear bumper-mounted quasi-milliwave radar to measure the distance to cars approaching from behind or in neighboring lanes........"

"Mazda’s Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) uses radars mounted in the rear bumper to detect vehicles approaching from behind and in the adjacent lane........"

So it appears that the RVM is one center radar and the BSM are two corner radars.

With my testing, the canbus packets coming out from the BSM system are 0x477 and 0x492. 0x477 is the one with any usable data. It shows obstacles in blind spots as well as sends a warning to the IC and another to the CMU during RCTA.

Not sure how the RVM system works since I am in North America and here we have BSM, but if you are able to sniff packets on the MS Can Bus and you can see if the RVM is giving RCTA signals and the IC is just not alerting or if the RVM does not send RCTA data at all, you'd be able to narrow it down to some configuration in the IC probably.

If the RVM does not output RCTA data, then there's really nothing you can do about it. If it does output that RCTA data, maybe you can find something in the IC's asbuilt....

I have been messing with my BSM and its asbuilt data. It seems that the asbuilt is really not affecting any of the BSM's options/functions.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
From my understanding, the RVM system is one radar unit mounted center rear. It acts like the front radar unit for cruise control and just measures objects and its relative angle to them.
From mazda's page:
"The Rear Vehicle Monitoring System (RVM) uses a rear bumper-mounted quasi-milliwave radar to measure the distance to cars approaching from behind or in neighboring lanes........"

"Mazda’s Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) uses radars mounted in the rear bumper to detect vehicles approaching from behind and in the adjacent lane........"

So it appears that the RVM is one center radar and the BSM are two corner radars.
Thanks for the reply.
I actually checked and can confirm that I do have two separate sensors (GHP9-67-Y80 (right) and GHP9-67-Y90 (left)) under the rear bumper - so it is not a one unit. Good start from the beginning.
Yes, I do have a possibility to sniff a CAN bus, but can you suggest how to provoke a RCTA condition? A rear gear and a child trolley approaching from the right/left side will be enough? What packages to expect on CAN bus?

I was also playing a little bit with IC configuration, comparing different as-builts and found out basically two places which potentially might impact the RCTA:
1. 7200419 XX XX XX 20 XX => 7200419 XX XX XX 10 XX (tried but no visible effect)
2. 7200421 XX 10 XX XX BF => 7200421 XX 33 XX XX BF (when I do this change this RVM on IC becames yellow instead of green).

PS: In restyle version (from 2015) they install different modules (GML9-67Y80C and GML9-67Y90) and call them BSM modules. Could be this is hardware question. And the issue can be solved by installing these two newer modules instead of those I have. I have checked that the cabling fits both module types.
PPS: And is US they install two GJR9-67Y30 modules, so it seems this is HW dependent feature.

·
Registered
92 Posts
everything is written in the ASBUILT thread here on this forum

it is an easy job to activate it with for scan BUT you need to have RVM (BSM) already and REAR PARKING SENSORS (stock - yes those which are visible on MZD CONNECT).

Then you just code one or two lines and it works

·
Registered
8 Posts
everything is written in the ASBUILT thread here on this forum

it is an easy job to activate it with for scan BUT you need to have RVM (BSM) already and REAR PARKING SENSORS (stock - yes those which are visible on MZD CONNECT).

Then you just code one or two lines and it works
hmmm... can you give a link to the post where it is stated? have never seen this in As-Built thread.
don't you also think this is a hardware dependent feature (I mean you need to have the correct RVM sensors)?

·
Registered
92 Posts
the sensors used for SCBS-R are the same used for RVM - i have no time to search 360 pages of the thread BUT you can download the XLS file to calculate blocks and checksums and check there are two blocks enabling SCBS-R. I did not have stock parking sensors while having the RVN and tried to activate it with no effect. After installing stock parking sensors rear (those that you can observe on the mzd screen) - all worked like a charm

·
Registered
8 Posts
the sensors used for SCBS-R are the same used for RVM - i have no time to search 360 pages of the thread BUT you can download the XLS file to calculate blocks and checksums and check there are two blocks enabling SCBS-R. I did not have stock parking sensors while having the RVN and tried to activate it with no effect. After installing stock parking sensors rear (those that you can observe on the mzd screen) - all worked like a charm
Okay, to begin it is worth mentioning that when we talk Mazda 6 we have a pre-lift and after-lift versions. The RVM sensors for pre-lift are different from after-lift (see my message above).
Secondly, in the Excel sheet there is nothing stated about RCTA, only SCBS-R, which is different things.
I own a pre-lift version, with RVM and stock parking sensors, and it is NOT possible to activate SCBS-R in that version.
BTW, the sensors used for SCBS-R are NOT the same used for RVM. SCBS-R uses parking sensors, while RVM uses radars on both rear sides.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This sounds interesting. I have the GT model in Europe, called here SportNav with OEM front and rear parking sensors but not RVM or BSM unfortunately. Would be great if I can fit these but not sure how straight forward this would be and if this is possible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts