2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
I have got Mazda 3 sedan bought in Europe (in Poland).
It is equipped with RVM (Rear Vehicle Monitoring) system which unfortunately does not have activated RCTA (Rear Cross Traffic Alert) system.
As far as I know in United States system RVM is called BSM (Blind Spot Monitor) and it does the same thing what RVM does, but it has RCTA function activated.
In many sources I have read that RCTA uses the same sensors which BSM uses.

And my question is if you know are there any technical differences between RVM and BSM (with RCTA)? I wonder if it could be possible to activate RCTA in my RVM equipped Mazda - if it is the software or the hardware case?

Thank you for responses :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
I am almost certian that they use the same sensors, but I can't be 100% sure. You can check the service manual and it will tell you. You are right though, it is called BSM on our cars (I have an iGT with that) and it does have the RCTA activated. The only reason I couldn't see them activating it would be for legal reasons.

Even if it does use the same sensors, it's may hard if not impossible to turn on. This kind of thing may be controlled with a microcontroller. Then again, you can change the sensitivity of the BSM system via the infotainment, so there may be a hidden setting somewhere for this. I wonder if anyone that has been looking through the code has found such a setting?

·
Registered
412 Posts
On German cars, you are able to code things in various modules to activate/deactivate features, but I am not sure if there is a user-possible way to do so for Japanese cars. They do use the same sensors, but I bet it has something to do with the sensors programmed to turn on when the vehicle engages reverse gear.

I'd like to turn on various features on my US-spec car that are available on EU vehicles too.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Rear cross traffic warning is great

It and blind spot monitoring are why I bought Mazda3.
I also wanted the radar cruise control, but only being an option on the more expensive module kept me away (also concern about how it behaved in some situations). I have read that the LIDAR (Laser Radar) parts are very expensive and car makers are actually not making much money on them, until prices come down. The Google self driving car has close to $100,000 of LIDAR. Also read that LIDAR can't tell the difference between a paper bag and a rock.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I am almost certian that they use the same sensors, but I can't be 100% sure. You can check the service manual and it will tell you. You are right though, it is called BSM on our cars (I have an iGT with that) and it does have the RCTA activated. The only reason I couldn't see them activating it would be for legal reasons.
In terms of legal aspects that is pretty strange, because in Europe (in Polish market) there is available limited serie of Mazda CX-9 cars. And they are equipped with BSM with RCTA. Of course CX-9 is another car model but still Mazda and the same market as well.

In service manual I have found (searching by "RVM" (Rear Vehicle Monitoring) abbreviation) two occurences of this word which are: "BSM/RVM_SW". Does it mean that these systems are the same?

So that is why I wonder if there exists any software way to activate RCTA in RVM equipped car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts