2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

121 - 124 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
I see that you have the gv wing. did you paint it at a shop, do you mind telling me approximately how much that cost? Also, what did you use to install it(does is use oem screws?)? I have the wing as well and it was painted by the retailer but its does not match. Thanks

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Hi all, been a minute! Moving on to my dream platform (FD3S RX-7), just won the car at auction in Japan and now I'm waiting on the invoice and then it should be here by mid September.

https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=251315&thumb=1
https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=251317&thumb=1

Car is a 1992, SINGLE OWNER with ~36K ORIGINAL km but it's an auto... BUT 36k ORIGINAL km and NO RUST! Somehow I got it for an absolute steal, not sure if I can recommend people on the forums (I'm a bit rusty on the rules) but if anyone's looking to import legally, the guy I chose was GREAT and has been at it since at least a while before '03 (he called me a young man today it was so cute), I can't say enough about how much he helped me. So feel free to ask if desired if that's ok. And because I went the import route, this car + (future) transmission swap + legal sourcing and shipping from japan is still around 2-4 times less expensive than a similarly specced RX-7 in the US. And even importing a similar specced manual is around 2x as much (as of extremely clean manual that sold last week). So transmission swap in "future" but no rush on it.

Oh, and quick background of how this dream car became possible: when I really used this forum a few short years ago I was in high school (and dreaming about blowing apex seals in a FD)... but since then I went to college, got really involved in research (why I haven't been on here/spending on my 3!) and have gotten a bunch of super good opportunities (really just gotten lucky with getting good advisors and mentors and colleagues I think). So for the next few years I'll be in as stable in a place in life as I'll be for a while and figured, "what the hell, if I can go for a FD without blowing my life (apex seal?) to smithereens I'm going to do it while young so I don't regret not doing it later later." (Oh and being single and living in a house with 6 other friends to lower rent helps too I guess... lol.)

Oh and MOST IMPORTANTLY when I inevitably blow my apex seal (see a common theme?), I got my free bus pass from work, and the bus picks up in my driveway :). Good public transport is the key to stress free RX-7 ownership if I'm to believe those who have paved the road (in apex seals... sorry) before me.

So I'm very stoked and I'll find some forum to make an average clean unoriginal oem+ RHD FD build (but this will be MY clean unoriginal oem+ RHD FD build) and link it eventually.

But now that we have new excitement out of the way, how does this relate to my 3?

Well, unless I get any interest on an obviously aftermarket car like my 3 is in the next couple months (before arrival of the FD), I'm going to part out the 3 soon. Need to take shipment of FD in Florida (where I'm from originally) pick up stock 3 parts from the attic that'll fit, and then drive cross country (without blowing an apex seal!) to Colorado and re-stockify my car there. I think my signature is somewhat up to date still, even years old as it is, so that's mostly stuff that can be expected from my car. But, I'll make the official posts in the right places when the time comes!

Also, not sure if anyone is still on here from when I was a bunch a couple years ago (just saw color0 give up on the chassis (iirc) but now he has a S2k if I got that right? end of an era that 3 was so nutty!), but if not... hi everyone else!

Attachments

·
Registered
102 Posts
Damn bro. That’s a clean a$$ FD. Lucky man. Lol.

If you end up taking off the GV spoiler & are willing to ship to Hawaii, I’ll take it off your hands.

Ever since seeing your sky with the GV wing, I’ve always wanted one. Hated how boring the stock sky wing looks. Ended up going the cheap route & adding a universal ducktail spoiler to it just to take away the flat line that follows the roof.

I’ll be watching out for your part out thread. Haha.

Respect from the 808 🤙🤙

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Damn bro. That’s a clean a$$ FD. Lucky man. Lol.

If you end up taking off the GV spoiler & are willing to ship to Hawaii, I’ll take it off your hands.

Ever since seeing your sky with the GV wing, I’ve always wanted one. Hated how boring the stock sky wing looks. Ended up going the cheap route & adding a universal ducktail spoiler to it just to take away the flat line that follows the roof.

I’ll be watching out for your part out thread. Haha.

Respect from the 808 🤙🤙

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks so much man! The guy I went through was a saint, I kept trying to bid on FD's that were just not up to par at all and he was like "please don't make me buy this for you, I can get you something better" and he really came through.

And I was kind of assuming that I'd have to ship stuff anyways as the car scene in Colorado is just... strange? Not sure how else to describe it, there's definitely nice cars out there, but the culture is not something I'm really in to and I just can't put my finger on why. I miss that part of Florida for sure.

So yeah, not sure how much shipping to Hawaii is, but I'll try and find out when I get my car parted out and you'll be the first to know. You'd have to cover shipping, but if you do end up wanting the wing and shipping is reasonable, would be an honor for it to end up on your car!

Your ride is awesome by the way, if I was staying around in the 3 game I would for sure be picking up the STI lip that you have! It looks way better on the sky than any other lip I've seen. And the fender flares are rad too.

121 - 124 of 124 Posts