2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've just bought my first Mazda 3 2nd gen - kinda was hoping I'd introduce myself properly before having to ask for help :frown2:

I know this is a common problem to have a rattling sound coming from the rear however how do I figure out whether it is my end links, bushings, sway bar or suspension which is making the sound?

My right end link has some move in it. I understand that this means its gone bad but if anyone can point out if anything else seems amiss I'd be forever grateful. I've uploaded some pictures in the link below.

Also, any ideas on how to get rid of the rust and prevent it from coming back? 0:)

Hoping to start modding after all the basics are sorted out, thanks everyone! :smile2:

Mazda 3 - Album on Imgur

·
Super Moderator
6,186 Posts
Are you sure the rattling is coming from outside and underneath the car? If so, I'd say to just pull off the RSB and grease the bushings, or just replace it with a JBR or CS bar. This will also give you a chance to tighten the end links.

RSB torque specs:

Bracket nut: 31-39 ft lbs
End link top nut: 33-44 ft lbs
End link RSB nut:
-MZ3: 33-44 ft lbs
-MS3: 60-77 ft lbs

Here's some tips from when I put in my CS ver2 RSB:

http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/showthread.php?p=289097#post289097

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mazdaspeedmyk, I'll give it a go now that the weekend is coming up :smile2:

I'm pretty certain it must be from the outside as I've removed any possible loose objects in the car with the seats down and I can still hear it. I hope it is just the sway bar and their bushings which need a little tightening.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought mine in 2010 new, I've had the same "clunk" since 20,000 mi. Dealer couldn't figure out what it was. Recently took it to a shop and they're 99% positive it's a blown shock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts