2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

If you hear for it, do you get rear subwoofer or any kind of rattle in your 2019?

Rattle/Vibrations Fix

27K views 46 replies 11 participants last post by  perseus 
#1 ·
Hey guys I bought a new 2019 Mazda 3 in IL, premium.

When I got the car I noticed the bass was maxed out and it had 50 miles worth of test driving done in it. I am pretty easy going person but when it comes to things that don't belong, LIKE small rattles/vibrations coming from the housing, sub, metal in the back of my car it consumes my mind. ( personal problem)

I bought the car because the stock spear system was supposed to be great. So far I'm happy with it but some songs cause my sunglass compartment, parts of my sunroof and rear of the vehicle to rattle a bit. I have to believe there is a fix for this and my mind thinks FOAM.

The rear sub seems to be the biggest culprit but my dealer won't replace the damn thing because they "can't duplicate" the problem. Really they just don't think its that big of a deal but when you spend 30,000 on a vehicle brand new you expect it to work flawlessly. And I do.

1. Has anyone had success talking to Mazda Corporate about replacing something like this? Are there any words I can use to show them I am displeased so I can get this sub fixed? I tried getting my dealer mechanic to tighten the housing but that didn't seem to do anything.

2. IF plan 1. doesn't work, has anyone had similar issues and what did you do to fix it. I imagine there has to be some sort of adhesive foam that you can tape to potentially rattly parts.

3. If it comes to it and I have to fix the sub myself, does anyone have an resources for accomplishing such a task?

Finally, don't know if I'm even asking the right questions I'm just looking for some direction here. I want the car to be flawless and I understand dealerships aren't going to take the time to fix every little thing. That being said I know I'm going to have to put some work into it, so where do I start??

Any advice is welcome. Thank you

See less See more
#4 ·
audio fan here...

if you really want to stop the rattle, it can be a project... this is one that ill hopefully tackle pretty soon myself.
(2010 hatch with subs)...

basically you have to take the panels off the car and add cld tiles... these stop the panels from making vibrating noises..

then you should put Close cell foam inbetween the metal and plastic parts to keep them from vibrating...

#6 ·
Have the same exact issue with my 2020 sedan, the Bose Sub on the rear deck makes a bit of a rattle, especially during certain bass frequencies. Can't seem to tell if its the trunk area around it that's rattling or the sub itself It also seems to hardly work during other frequencies which annoys me a lot as I listen to music all the time in my car. I plan on going to an audio shop nearby in a few days to get their opinion on it, maybe see about adding some sound dampening stuff to help with rattle

#7 ·
Hey guys I bought a new 2019 Mazda 3 in IL, premium.

When I got the car I noticed the bass was maxed out and it had 50 miles worth of test driving done in it. I am pretty easy going person but when it comes to things that don't belong, LIKE small rattles/vibrations coming from the housing, sub, metal in the back of my car it consumes my mind. ( personal problem)

I bought the car because the stock spear system was supposed to be great. So far I'm happy with it but some songs cause my sunglass compartment, parts of my sunroof and rear of the vehicle to rattle a bit. I have to believe there is a fix for this and my mind thinks FOAM.

The rear sub seems to be the biggest culprit but my dealer won't replace the damn thing because they "can't duplicate" the problem. Really they just don't think its that big of a deal but when you spend 30,000 on a vehicle brand new you expect it to work flawlessly. And I do.

1. Has anyone had success talking to Mazda Corporate about replacing something like this? Are there any words I can use to show them I am displeased so I can get this sub fixed? I tried getting my dealer mechanic to tighten the housing but that didn't seem to do anything.

2. IF plan 1. doesn't work, has anyone had similar issues and what did you do to fix it. I imagine there has to be some sort of adhesive foam that you can tape to potentially rattly parts.

3. If it comes to it and I have to fix the sub myself, does anyone have an resources for accomplishing such a task?

Finally, don't know if I'm even asking the right questions I'm just looking for some direction here. I want the car to be flawless and I understand dealerships aren't going to take the time to fix every little thing. That being said I know I'm going to have to put some work into it, so where do I start??

Any advice is welcome. Thank you
Noticed same rear glass vibration issue on the 2021 sedan. I think Centerpoint, if you have it, may help disperse the bass more evenly to all the speakers. I'd be interested in adding some dampening to the rear area if we can figure out the best location.

As for the sunglasses holder, I've noticed I get an annoying vibration anytime I leave glasses in there. Usually it's Ray Bans with glass lenses that resonate. The problem seems to follow me in whatever car I own, so I just mostly stopped using that space to store glasses. Anyone try a foam insert or some such in the sunglasses holder to solve that issue?

#8 · (Edited)
I noticed one of the push type retaining clips had come out on the underside of the trunk area in my sedan. I chipped it trying to put it back in, so I ordered a pack of 40 since I already noticed another clip missing from another location. I think I'm noticing a connection between vibrating parts and where there was a clip missing. Either way for anyone experiencing a trunk area rattle on a 2019+ sedan, strongly recommend going back there and checking that all the push clips are properly secured. Same for in the spare tire well area.

#16 ·
To solve my Bose rattles with some kind of insulation.
Where would you like to install insulation, underneath the deck? Could you not install it upside down from the trunk?

I noticed some form of insulation in the spare wheel well along the frame of the car. Maybe that would be a better place to reinforce with a bass trap of some sort?

What kind of insulation are you looking at? I may follow your lead. It's kind of crazy how minimal all the engineering is to get things light.

#19 · (Edited)
This is the particularly nasty one that was missing and harder to access than the others. You have to remove the missing clip from the first pic (the one from the cabin with the seat down) to insert the second clip. If there's no clip coming thru where those red circles are, you're missing a vital retainer on that side.

#20 · (Edited)
What's surprising is how important a single clip appears to be in preventing any given vibration. At first I thought it was the sub, but I can hear it with no audio playing, just from road vibrations coming into the car. I'll be curious if I can still hear buzzing after replacing the 2 missing clips. Makes sense on one level that a car that's trying to cut down on weight to the Nth degree would have a single, tiny piece of plastic have such a limited, yet critical role.

#28 ·
As a quick addendum, yesterday I noticed that one of those 2 push clips that are immediately above your shoe was not fully clicked into place and was causing THE ENTIRE DECK to rattle. Possibly an isolated incident, but I'll reiterate that I'd check that all those clips are secured in place and not chipped. Maybe even remove and reapply each clip.

If you do find that they are all secure, then those flat pieces of plastic that those clips are securing would be a really good place to insert some thin foam to reduce deck rattles. It's between these 2 flat pieces:

#29 · (Edited)
Deck rattling remedy:

1) Cut 3 strips of any +/- 80mil butyl sound proofing: 2"X5" (2) and 2"X7" (1)
2) Lower back seats
3) Sitting on top of lowered seat back, remove the 4 push clips from the deck
4) Remove paper backing from butyl strips, lean down to get a better view, pull the trim an inch or 2 away from the deck, and insert strips onto the deck
5) Go back over each of the 3 sections, pulling trim back and pushing butyl down firmly to apply correctly (be mindful not to apply your strips over any of the clip holes)
6) Reinsert clips, click both seats back into locked positions, put the head rests all the way down, and enjoy a (hopefully) quiet deck

#32 · (Edited)
I could see this guy being a culprit for some people. I removed it after finding a persistent rattle in the trunk lid today.

It's easy to unhook once you have the trim cover removed to test if it's your problem.

ETA: I think the rattle could also easily be the adapters for the lights that are secured to the frame on the underside of the trunk lid. I went ahead and put a small strip of butyl over each of the 4. I wouldn't be surprised it it's those exact same clips that hold the adapters in place that are vibrating furiously in the headliner near the handles and C-pillars. The combination of 2 adapters + wires going to their locations + a clip securing the adapters to the frame is problematic in its implementation. But then again so is putting butyl over the clips and adapters, so shrugs.

#37 ·
You don't have to remove the rear seat bottom and back, although that would allow you to remove the tire house trim completely and therefore give you more room to work in. I'm just seeing if I can swap out my unused center for this 9" which I've had disconnected:

After first removing all the clips, to pop the deck up out of its locked position, I sat on the lowered seatbacks, propped my knee underneath the deck on first one side, and then the other (as seen in diagrams), and slowly brute forced the entire deck upwards until it pops out. Then slide it out towards the front of the cabin, again as in the diagram.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.