2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
More free time than money
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
@yandreev3 whipped me up a custom intake from the stock airbox and a pod filter, here's my review. Cost = Pod filter + trip to In N out

Quality
Its home made in 30 minutes. Thats all I can say.

Install
Loosen clam on stock airbox, remove airbox, unplug MAF, insert new intake, tighten clamp, plug in MAF.
Optional: Zip tie to something so it doesn't flop as much.

Noise
Oh my Jesus. The noise this thing makes is amazing. Deepish burbly sound around 3k that only gets better as you rev it. I love this thing. A cat back by itself is meh. This makes the car so much more fun to rev.

Power
The butt dyno can't tell a difference. Does increase the tune ability once I fork over the money for one.

Conclusion
Is it worth it? YES. This is once of the best cheap mods you can do to please your ears.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I actually left the bottom half of the intake box on and took off the resonator and plugged it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Doesn't look too shabby haha. I honestly don't like specter products. That ABS Plastic sucks as it breaks easily. I just had a bad experience with the tubing in my Lancer. On the upside, it's cheap and you get more sound!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Add the lower stock box back in. I noticed smoother power and better accelerating from launch.

·
Official Ricer
392 Posts
Curious to see how this holds up without a proper air straightener.
Update us when CEL pops up!

·
Registered
574 Posts
For me, a replacement was $40. Plus I think they sell adapters. The point of this is a budget diy intake
Oh, I definitely get that. I'm one of the guys that spent nearly nothing on PVC piping, a couple rubber couplers and a Spectre cone filter for my Genesis Coupe. It was so much better than the stock intake. I'm not saying it looked amazballs, but it was cheap and worked pretty well.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Heat Soak is not your friend.

·
Car Part Box Collector
29 Posts
Named accordingly because the first photo actually looked like an erected penis.
Are you still running this? Any CELs pop up? Might pull the trigger on this.

·
Car Part Box Collector
29 Posts
Perhaps I should have waited it out. I pulled the trigger and did it anyway. My cuts were clean enough that I can use a 3D pen to mold it back, though I did order a replacement top. I gotta say, I think it's pretty fantastic. I personally don't see a decrease in speed, if anything I think the throttle it's a little more peppy.

Perhaps if you feel this strongly I'll order the corksport intake tonight. Thanks!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts