2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started up my car in the morning and all the sudden my fuel light pops up. It says my fuel tank is at empty and my range is 0. Weird thing is I filled up like two days before, and was at ~600km range the night before.
But as I keep driving, the bars on the fuel meter slowly moves back up (took about 40min to rise back to where it should be), but the range is still showing 0.

Anyone have an issue like this?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Were you parked inside or outside? Maybe the weather has to do with it, and the fuel freezing or something? Just a guess..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was parked inside. Air temperature was around 9 degrees C. I was thinking maybe something is wrong with the computer?

·
Registered
251 Posts
That's a strange one. The range is not super accurate, in that at the beginning it shows more miles than I could drive before it shows zero, if that makes sense. I also drove it several miles reading zero and I know it still wasn't running on fumes or anything. But what you're describing is a true malfunction from how it normally works. I would fill it up again and see how it does. In my book once is fluke and maybe it would never happen again and all is well (although that would be odd, I'd be wondering what caused it to happen that once). Twice or more is a fault though and I would take it in for a repair. The reason I say try filling it up is just so you don't end up running out of fuel! ;-)

Since all the readings that it can display on the dash agreed upon low, it's possible the fault is in the fuel gauge sending unit, the device in the tank that measures the level. The gauge/instrument cluster is typically the more reliable of the two pieces that give you the fuel level, but that is long term. When you get a defect on a new car that kind of stuff doesn't always hold true.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts