2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Skidigger
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suddenly, my rain sensor wipers are not working anymore. This morning there is a slight drizzle, but the wind shield has droplets and the rain sensing wipers are not triggered. I have observed the same behavior when there was some significant rainfall couple of days ago. It worked fine when I got my car last month. Yes, I have the rain sensing wipers setting enabled in the infotainment screen. Yes, wipers was on Auto.

:nono:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is the windshield/other parts of the car dirty?

If you flip them off (of automatic mode) then back on, it should automatically do a wipe I believe (or at least it usually does for me). After trying to switch the mode, does it work as expected?

This is how I've experienced mine, similar happened in my 2010. Almost as if it needed to be "reset" sometimes to realize it is now indeed raining. The "reset" always seemed to happen after it would wipe once.

·
Skidigger
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I am doing. Reset it by manually turning them on and then off, but why do I need to do that? Is this a software issue or a sensor issue?

If you spend 29K on a car, you expect it to work without a hitch.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Suddenly, my rain sensor wipers are not working anymore. This morning there is a slight drizzle, but the wind shield has droplets and the rain sensing wipers are not triggered. I have observed the same behavior when there was some significant rainfall couple of days ago. It worked fine when I got my car last month. Yes, I have the rain sensing wipers setting enabled in the infotainment screen. Yes, wipers was on Auto.

:nono:
I think many of us have the same issue. The sensor area on the windshield is quite small and if there is only a slight drizzle there are problems with the rain sensing wipers. When the rain starts with a drizzle, the sensor doesn't seem to see larger drops when it starts to rain harder. That leads me to believe that the sensor firmware works on the principle of the difference in what it senses rather than the absolute amount of stuff it sees on the windshield sensor area. So, if the rain starts coming down normally, without misting, the wipers seem to work fine. Otherwise, I have to turn them off and then on again. I have no clue how this can be fixed but as with the infotainment system, Mazda will have to make improvements over time. The problem with us is that this is probably not a firmware fix and is embedded in the body control modules. If that is the case, we won't see a solution in our cars. Bummer...

·
Registered
476 Posts
I wonder if the sensor area is a different size on the 2014 vs 2010. It seems my 2010 mz3 was able to do a better job at sensing the different moisture conditions, mainly misting. I don't remember ever resetting, or even touching, the wiper control on the 2010. Occasionally, on my 2014, I do have to reset the wipers in light misting conditions. Could also be a little bit of selective memory, since we don't get much misting in Colorado.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts