2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed that they don't seem to perform very well in light rain? With a steady rain they seem spot on.. speed increases and decreases just fine. But when the drops are really small or light, the wipers behave erratically, often wiping the windshield when it is nearly dry and at higher speed than in a heavier rain. This occurs even on the lowest sensitivity setting.

Windshield is pretty clean as well. Have others experienced this and is this par for the system, or should I have the dealer look at it?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yes! Happens a lot and it is frustrating.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone noticed that they don't seem to perform very well in light rain? With a steady rain they seem spot on.. speed increases and decreases just fine. But when the drops are really small or light, the wipers behave erratically, often wiping the windshield when it is nearly dry and at higher speed than in a heavier rain. This occurs even on the lowest sensitivity setting.

Windshield is pretty clean as well. Have others experienced this and is this par for the system, or should I have the dealer look at it?
I felt the same. In my previous 2012 Rio SX the sensors were perfect. They worked with the right intensity. Overall I love my new Mazda sport but tho two things are quite annoying for me.
1 The road noise, despite the fact that I have replaced Yokohama AVIDs OEMs with new Michelin MXV4s which are the best in the market
2 The wipers behavior..

·
Registered
269 Posts
my 2012 Jeep GC had good sensing wipers I thought. The Mazda 3's could be better imo. They work fine in a decent amount of rain, but they tend to not work well in light mist's or light rain.. not a huge deal but wish it were a little better.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I also have similar feeling about my 3's rain sensor, felt erratic at times. Some times it started wiping when only a few drops of rain on windscreen, other times when the windscreen was covered entirely with fine rain droplets and the wiper didn't move.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The problem seems to be actually getting them to fire up for the first wipe in those light rain situations. Once mine actually get started they're just fine, but getting them moving isn't easy. Typically I just turn the wipers on, then put it back on auto and it seems to work just fine. Alternately you can turn off the rain sensing wipers in your infotainment if it's too annoying for you, and then the auto setting becomes a standard delay.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well if you turn them off then there is no point to having rain sensing wipers.

Reactions: jsd

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The problem seems to be actually getting them to fire up for the first wipe in those light rain situations. Once mine actually get started they're just fine, but getting them moving isn't easy. Typically I just turn the wipers on, then put it back on auto and it seems to work just fine. Alternately you can turn off the rain sensing wipers in your infotainment if it's too annoying for you, and then the auto setting becomes a standard delay.
I had an extended drive in some light rain recently and it was consistently erratic. Aside from wiping an almost dry windshield, a couple of times it jumped to a high setting for three or more wipes before settling down a bit.

That is a great point about the option to change back to non sensing in the infotainment system. Perhaps this also means the behavior could be improved with a future software update?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
508 Posts
I agree with mostly everything that was said about the rain sensing wipers because mine act the same way, but a really important thing to remember about them is to turn them off in the winter because if there is any ice or snow on the windshield and they turn on without the windshield being cleaned off it could cause serious damages to the wiper motors.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ours seem to work just fine so far. But yes winter operation agreed they should be turned off but that being said , I think there are some good hints for use in the manual so guess I will have to get off my butt and read it again.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I rather like it that the rain sensing wipers don't kick in too fast. This way I can give it a good spray to get rid of the sand and other dirt on the windscreen. Nothing worse than a windscreen full of scratches made by dry wipers, there is always some dry grit on there, even if you don't see it. My wife's Mazda 121 (13 years old) and my previous Mazda 6 (10 years old) had some serious scratching like you won't believe it.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Agree with Hombre, wipers running too dry will damage the blades real quick. Also pays to wipe the blades with cloth towel at least every fill up. Paper towel is too rough.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've studied their actions a bit as I have been encountering a few light rain showers in my area the past couple weeks. They definitely do not perform optimally in light rain but I think the reason is because the sensor (located in the huge sensor compartment at the top of the windshield) has a small area. If the light rain doesn't hit that sweet spot, they ain't coming on. Steady rain hits the sensor easily which is why they perform better then.

I find that leaving the sensitivity marker in the medium range to start and then moving it up a notch if they don't catch it quick enough for my liking seems to to the trick to get them active. I shouldn't have to do this but it gets it to work.

*sigh* C'est la vie.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts