2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on my way home last night I was going through a parking lot and hit a speedbump at like 20mph. Normally this wouldn't bother me so much, but it messed my radio up.:argh 1: The big pause/play button and the volume dial don't work, but the tuning dial (around the pause/play button) works and the Power button (press in volume dial) works.. I'll be taking a trip to the dealer in the near future, but a car with 10k miles on it shouldn't do this... Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I have not heard of this type of problem in any car let alone an almost brand new one! Sounds really strange and I can't think of any suggestions to try to diagnose a potential fix!

Keep us posted on any info.

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
I had a 2008 3 and the radio failed in it. The PCB for the faceplate burnt out. One dealership I took it to was diagnosing it and I guess didn't want to spend the time on it as they were closing in an hour (and went out of business for the 2nd time a week later). They said that it had to be a problem with the wiring harness and they wouldn't cover it and said the car must have been in an accident (which it wasn't. I bought it used and I had a history on the car) so I blew up at them and complained to management and mazda usa. I took it to another dealership who diagnosed it in 10 minutes as the defect above and ordered the part and replaced it in 45 minutes. Then I went back to the first dealership who blew me off and went into service and asked them what the problem was.... seems like the other dealership fixed it fine and didn't do anything to the harness.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I went to the dealership this morning and it was actually an enjoyable experience lol. I drove up to the service lane and told him what was going on. He was like "Hmm, thats strange. I've never heard of this before. Let's go take a look at it." He went to my car, pressed some buttons, got my vin and said, "Yup its screwed. Give me your phone number and I'll call you when we get the new one in."

Easiest visit ever lol. He said that it may have been faulty soldering..? I was slightly agrivated when I showed up so I bet that gave him some motivation.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I went to the dealership this morning and it was actually an enjoyable experience lol. I drove up to the service lane and told him what was going on. He was like "Hmm, thats strange. I've never heard of this before. Let's go take a look at it." He went to my car, pressed some buttons, got my vin and said, "Yup its screwed. Give me your phone number and I'll call you when we get the new one in."

Easiest visit ever lol. He said that it may have been faulty soldering..? I was slightly agrivated when I showed up so I bet that gave him some motivation.
What part did he order? Is it a new head unit or something else?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry to hear but I am glad they are working on it. I am also curious about what they ordered.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
THEN WHY DID YOU POST?????:argh 1:
Because several people had already viewed the thread and didn't even mention anything. I thought being friendly and recognizing someone's concern is better than ignoring them! I guess I was just trying to be a nice guy and offer the littlest amount of support possible to someone who might be looking for it!

Reactions: reed7742

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that they ordered a full head unit. I"m not entirely sure though. As long as it ends up working I'll be happy lol.

Reactions: BSUBigMac

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
I think i was checking prices somewhere and saw that replacement head units for (at least the gen 1) were all the same price regardless of what features it had or didn't have lol. Just thought I'd throw that out there. What a rip off, eh?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah..
As soon as my dad deploys I'm getting his 1 year old 7.5 in touchscreen alpine unit w/ dvd ipod gps and handsfree bluetooth so no big deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts